Composite/Trex Decking on a Trailer? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-01-2019   #1

Composite/Trex Decking on a Trailer?

I'm considering using a trex or similar composite decking product for the decking on a 7'X12' raft trailer. Some of the entry level capped composite 1"x6"x12' materials seem to be more in reach price wise (Trex Basics or Veranda from HD would basically be basically a $120 premium over replacing a deck using pressure treated - if this saves on staining a trailer deck a few years , it may be worth it). Off the bat, a few upsides I can think of would be potentially lower maintenance and lower friction during loading/unloading. A few downsides are weight and the potential for staining (although I'm not really concerned about staining).

The trailer will have 12" spacing on cross members so it will be supported consistent with manufacturer specs for composite decking.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience doing this? Thanks in advance!

utahpowderskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
It's heavy and I wouldn't use it for carrying anything but boats (really not that strong for its weight, and it warps in the sun).

But if you don't mind the weight, go for it. I don't see the downside other than weight/warpage. You don't need to stain it, it shouldn't stain in a way that would adversely affect your boat. It definitely won't give you splinters like pressure-treated.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019   #3
..is doing the damn thing

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
We found some used stuff on Craigslist. 50$ got our 8x12 done. I think we spent more on self tapping screws then the boards.
ACheateaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019   #4

Do it. I bought my trailer used 8 or 10 years ago with Trex already on it, not sure the total age on the trailer. I've never had to worry about it once. Mine is raft deck over storage that opens up, rapid rig style, the trex is on the gear storage, main trailer floor. I guess it might be a little slippery walking on it wet other than that I can't see a downside. Takes a beating.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019   #5

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
So I bought a mid 90's snowmobile trailer in 2009. I replaced the rotten deck with 1'x8'x0.5" trex material. I complained about the price then but other than slight warping the material has held up quite well. This year I am repainting the trailer and removed all of the deck pieces to inspect...No issues. I am planning on putting the same pieces back and expect to get another 10 years out of them (fingers crossed)...