Cockpit Geometry - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-17-2016   #1

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
Cockpit Geometry

I've always set up my rowing position by just kinda feeling it out. Does anybody know any standard geometry like when you are setting up a bike. In other words, if your femur is X and your arms are Y and you are Z tall, your distance from footbar to oarlocks should be Q and your seat should be W high in relation to your oarlocks etc. etc. Any input would be great! I'm thinking about resetting my rig and I'd love to hear ideas from the experts hear on the buzz. Thanks!!

mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016   #2

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
When seated oarlocks make a straight line with your knee caps. Oar lock height is more relative to frame width than any thing else.
Old 03-17-2016   #3

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Cockpit Geometry

I am curious about fitting dimensions too. I just bought a new raft, a 16' Maravia Typhoon. I am going to put an NRS frame on it. I will sit on a Mad Cow box with a mini paco pad (tush Cush from Cascade). The MC box rests 5" above the bar plus an inch or so for the pad. I would also like to order Mad Cow captains boxes, but that will lock me into the length of the rowers compartment. If I ever want to adjust it longer, my captain box's tabs won't fit on the cross bars. If I want it shorter the boxes will be too long and won't fit. I was going to hold off on the boxes until I figure out where I like the length of the rowers compartment, but perhaps someone has a suggestion. I am 6'3". My old raft is a 14' Maravia Diablo on a Salmon River frame by Cambridge Welding. It has no adjustment and the rowing compartment was 24" long. The oars were always banging into my knees when I rowed. I sat on a box too. I'm going with 10" towers on the new frame to see if those help.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2016   #4

Rivertown, West Virginia
If the mad cow boxes are tabbed on the long side than all you will need to do is just leave a cross member for them and you can still make your frame longer
Old 03-17-2016   #5

Rivertown, West Virginia
I have a seat mounted on a dry box. When I use it I can use 6 inch tower because my knees drop down. When I use a seat bar that is flush with the top of my frame I use 8 inch towers because my knee come up. My height is 6' 2"
Old 03-17-2016   #6

Rivertown, West Virginia
Mowgli, get a hold of mttodd. He builds frames and could probably give you some very close numbers
Old 03-17-2016   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Andy I would put the captain boxes on hold until you dial in your frame. Row it some and make sure. You wouldn't want to be wrong.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #8

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
Mowgli, get a hold of mttodd. He builds frames and could probably give you some very close numbers

Curtis, thanks for the input and the reference! I really want to play with the "fit" but I just think there's got to be an order of step to follow to help dial it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
When seated oarlocks make a straight line with your knee caps. Oar lock height is more relative to frame width than any thing else.
Oar lock height is also affected by your knee and thigh height given whatever footbar you are using and how tall your seat is.
Old 03-18-2016   #10
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't even comment here anymore its pretty much a joke. You guys keep asking the same stupid questions and buying boats that don't fit wasting your money. Call James in Oregon and get a real frame and box ,problem solved. His boxes are 200 less then madcow because he actually builds them all at his facility and better welding and gaskets than madcow. And no I am not James
He is pretty much the man and has figured out all the dumb shit you guys post about already
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote