Clothes/Layering recommendations... - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Portland, Oregon
Clothes/Layering recommendations...

Just wanting some options when a drysuit or a farmer john is to hot and the likelihood of a swim is very low but not nonexistent. Thinking about clothes for rafting class II-III water with air temps in the 80s-90s and water temps in the upper 50s. What has been your best set up for this type of situations? It feels like I'm pretty dialed in for colder weather/water but in this situation I'm lacking in comfortable options that seem safe for a swim or rescue.

TboneCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Patagonia makes a nice thin wetsuit with a microfiber lining..
https://www.patagonia.com/shop/mens-wetsuits
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Whatever you are comfortable in. For me that kind of weather is shorts and a fleece vest. The general rule of thumb I use for dangerous cold is when the water and air temperature doesnít add up to 100, then itís time to suit up. With the air that warm swimming in upper 50 degree water isnít bad.
Critter70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
I'd be wearing my birthday suit in those conditions. 😎

Ben
BenSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
Good on you for not just thinking about the unlikely swim, but also the potential need to be immersed for longer if you need a rescue.

Rafting the Mckenzie in the summer is similar air temperature and cooler water. I usually don't dress for an extended swim. Pretty low risk! Then I think about a canoe recovery from the Willamette in August that took a long time. The borrowed boat had gone under a log jam. The people were fine, but the boat was pinned badly. A couple people took turns trying to free the boat, and even with a wetsuit it eventually got cold. We ended up cutting out some of the wood to free the damaged but repairable boat.

Can you stuff something thermal away in case you do need to spend some time in the water? Then wear some high UPF clothes to protect you from the radiation emitted from our closest star.

If you keep some other sizes of extra warm clothes, you never know when you can be a hero to someone else who needs 'em (passengers, other people in your group, or others).
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
That sounds like very pleasant comfortable conditions that wouldn't require insulation... but I really like the thin neoprene separates (hydroskin etc.) when there is any doubt about comfort level. I would also rather be too warm than a little chilly.
A dry suit in those conditions would be miserable.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

winter park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I got some nrs splash pants with the velcro closures on the bottom. I've used them when it's freezing and when it's sunny and 80+. They are easy to take off if you're stopping or get too hot but since they are on your legs your upper body can just vent off the heat. They are always in my boat incase somebody gets cold or the weather changes. One of my favorite purchases for sure, and they are surprisingly comfortable
liltownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
It seems like us humans can be divided into fast coolers, medium coolers, and slow coolers, and depending on who you are can determine what you need to wear... once the water temp is above 65 I most often am wearing a set of IR shorts lined with 3 mil neoprene an IR thickskin/thin skin and a shorty breathable splash top or long sleeve capiliene for the sun. I find having a little neoprene makes unexpected water time better, and it is not so much that you get all whacky from being too hot.

But, dont go for long hikes or bikes wearing neoprene. That ends badly. I know.

https://immersionresearch.com/collec...d-guide-shorts

As an added bonus the high back keeps away the unfortunate mid back sunburn, and gives a little love to those with older backs...
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
MF Flathead is like that in July.

I'll wear a FJ or shorty wetsuit. Most important to me to keep my core warm.
splashes keep you cool enough. Agree with jerseyjeff, you don't want to hike much in it!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Lowell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSlaughter View Post
I'd be wearing my birthday suit in those conditions. 😎

Ben
😳🙈
Gchapman is offline   Reply With Quote