Clothes for rafting - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-09-2006   #1

Clothes for rafting

Hope this is the right forum to ask this question.

I'm somewhat new to rafting, and still trying to dial in the clothes I need. Last May/June I did the Middle Fork of the Salmon, and wore a borrowed drysuit the whole time (it was cold!). I would like to buy a drysuit, but damn they are expensive, and not terribly versatile if it is warmer. I do, however, hate being cold, and as I am mostly a raft passenger at this point, getting cold can happen easily in Colorado rivers.

So, what are my alternatives? Dry tops are a lot cheaper, but what would I wear on the bottoms? Would a dry top and farmer john wetsuit be a good combo? Other suggestions? Do I just suck it up and buy the drysuit too? I do own a shortsleeve splash top I got really cheap, but that's it (aside from gloves and booties).

Thanks in advance. (Oh, if there are better places to ask, or to look for gear, let me know that too).

sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006   #2

rafting clothes

think of dry pants, and a high quality splash top with good polypro long underwear (capilene by patagonia is great). A cheaper way is rain pants and top with the same layer underneath. Forget wet suits--they are designed to be under water. add a fiber pyle or wool ski hat to keep your head warm. Some booties or tennis shoes with gore-tex socks. The biggest thing is to end evaporative cooling.[/u]
nmdice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #3

but your list seems entirely predicated on just getting splashed and not swimming... That doesn't seem to jive with my (albeit limited) experience... If I was wearing what you describe when I got dumped in the middle fork, I would have been an ice cube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006   #4

Duhrango
Don't get dumped
Old 03-09-2006   #5

Easy enough to say. And a good reason to learn how to row, the guy in the center seems a lot less likely to get dumped. But alas, our little paddle boat flipped at the top of velvet falls and it was a chilly swim. I was very glad for the dry suit.
Old 03-09-2006   #6

West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
If you get that cold, I would go with the farmer john wet suit, booties, pile sweater, and splash jacket. Pretty low dollar compared to a dry suit. The wet suit will heat up enough in sun that you'll probably jump in to cool off!
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #7

does a drytop and farmer john make sense? might be able to get a cheap dry top. or is a dry top really just a kayaking item?
Old 03-09-2006   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sandbagger,

What size are you? I have a very basic old drysuit I haven't used in years that I would part with cheap. It is a stolhquist size medium.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #9

I'm about 5'10, 175. wear a medium in some things for sure. definitely interested.
Old 03-09-2006   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Sandbagger PM sent your way

Danny
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting