Clorox bleach crystals for dishline? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2019   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1994
Clorox bleach crystals for dishline?

Anyone use these? Not same chemical as regular bleach. Thoughts?

Deejinmissoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2019   #2

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
We sprinkle them in the groover in the morning and they really seem to help with smells. Never tried them on dishes.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019   #3

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
We've been using them for the final bleach rinse. Bottle bleach always seams to leak out of whatever container I put it in. So far, so good, and one of my rafting buddies is county restaurant inspector. He seems to approve.
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2019   #4

Missoula, Montana
90duck - right. I’ve had a couple unfortunate catastrophes of that nature. Crystals seem more stable. Good to hear you’ve been using them. I’m sure they sanitize, just don’t want some weird residue that makes everyone sick.
Old 03-20-2019   #5

Steramine tablets.

I'm not sure on the crystals, you gotta check the ingredient list for some specific chemical to make sure they work. I'd google their active ingredient and make sure.

Steramine though is made for restaurant sanitation, one tab per gallon and I think a bottle is 150 tablets for $5, plus it turns the water blue so you don't have to have the debate on if someone remembered to bleach the water earlier lol. works a lot faster.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019   #6

Missoula, Montana
Osprey . Havenít heard of these after all these years. Those sound awesome. Will check out restaurant supply since itís too late to amazon. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2019   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
We use chlor-tabs (chlorine tablets I think they are 10-16 bucks). Available in all restaurant supply stores. It is used in basin sinks for final rinse. There are dip tabs/strips to check your ppm too and they are super cheap. Remember to rinse soap from dishes really well. Soap deactivates the chlorine in your final soak water. Dishes also need to sit for 1 minute in final rinse so get the busy body away from the final rinse.

You can also get the Steramine tabs at the restaurant supply store too. They are for washing tabletops and glassware too if I remember right.

Liquid chlorine is a pain and looses strength if it sits around for too long. If I remember right at 6 months it has lost significant strength after opening but I'm sure someone else on the buzz can correct me if I am wrong.

Stay safe my friends
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I pack liquid bleach in skinny squirt bottles inside nalgene bottles. For the grand, for refill capacity, I also carry some directly in a small nalgene, in a ziplock with paper towels inside the zippy.

Bleach crystals are awesome in the groover.
Old 03-20-2019   #9

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
A couple of years ago I started using the bleach tablets you can find in Walmart, ShopKo etc. There's 32 in a small container for a couple of bucks. No more leaky bleach bottles and really easy to train everyone as to how much to use.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote