Clips, clips or straps? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-18-2017   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Clips, clips or straps?

So nub here ... Santa brought a new boat, rmr 14 with a 4 bay gunny frame. Trying to put a deck on .... friends say strap.... but I found EMT clips and a can of rubber spray... 6 coats i don't think there will be damage.... thoughts?

I heard straps are hot, bulky, etc.

Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017   #2

Denver, Colorado
I used furniture bolts straight through wooden deck and frame for non-removable parts and a couple straps for one removable panel.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Despite having played with multiple ideas, including furniture bolts as noted above, nutserts in the frame, emt clips, zip ties, hose clamps and several other ideas I still use straps... Why? I don't know for sure but they're simple, adjustable, reliable and I always have plenty. I have no idea how they could be hot. They aren't perfect but seem to be the best balance of adjustable, simple and on hand.

I spent the most time with EMT clips but found they wrap too far under the frame and I worry about wear from them. With that in mind, I've cut them down so they only wrap 3/4 of the way underneath and don't touch the rubber but adjusting them is kind of a PIA and I haven't spent the time to rig a whole deck with them because I usually run out of time or patience and just grab a couple straps - usually with the thought in mind that I'll get back to the clips. That's been several years and there is always something else to tackle instead.

It's hard to argue against straps. The only reason I look at replacing them is for a cleaner look, that and getting more straps back into my strap bag for other issues. I don't know if I'll ever finish the switch over - maybe if I get bored someday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Despite having played with multiple ideas, including furniture bolts as noted above, nutserts in the frame, emt clips, zip ties, hose clamps and several other ideas I still use straps... Why? I don't know for sure but they're simple, adjustable, reliable and I always have plenty. I have no idea how they could be hot. They aren't perfect but seem to be the best balance of adjustable, simple and on hand.

I spent the most time with EMT clips but found they wrap too far under the frame and I worry about wear from them. With that in mind, I've cut them down so they only wrap 3/4 of the way underneath and don't touch the rubber but adjusting them is kind of a PIA and I haven't spent the time to rig a whole deck with them because I usually run out of time or patience and just grab a couple straps - usually with the thought in mind that I'll get back to the clips. That's been several years and there is always something else to tackle instead.

It's hard to argue against straps. The only reason I look at replacing them is for a cleaner look, that and getting more straps back into my strap bag for other issues. I don't know if I'll ever finish the switch over - maybe if I get bored someday?

Thanks for that! I purchased the half clips and 1 inch carriage bolts and acorn nuts..... I think my OCD is going for a cleaner look as well.
Nubie Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I wouldn't use carriage bolts... well I guess you didn't say what your decks will be built out of, but if in wood (and even in AL to a lesser degree, if you remove them often enough) the square holes will round out and you'll get pissed off. Use cap screws instead (same large head, with a hex or torx head cut into it). You'll be much happier in the long run...
Old 12-20-2017   #6

Denver, Colorado
One of the things I like about the furniture bolts is that they make the the corner areas of the decking into a sort of wooden gusset that I think make the frame a bit stiffer and more secure since I'm using T-fittings at the corners. Another is that the head is totally smooth and low profile.

Not so good:mine are just the regular cheap plated hardware store ones, and they rust. I could buy aluminum ones for order but those are spendy. Some people objected to the idea of holes in the frame tubes, but they are really small.
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017   #7

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I am with Elk on the straps. I cut holes in my side board and use most of the straps that hold the frame to the boat to also hold the side boards. This also keeps the side board from rubbing through the straps that would normally be under them holding the frame to the raft. Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-23-2017   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Button head cap screws in stainless

A reasonably priced alternative is the Button Head Cap screw in an 18-8 (303) stainless. Unfortunately, these are hard to find in domestic but the Chinese are available. A 1/4 x3x-20-nc thread is 30 cents...more or less.
There is a screw machine company in RI area that make them in SS but the minimum is 10k....same folks that do the flattened u bolts
Old 12-23-2017   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Here is about 1000 options for high quality stainless button head bolts and no need to order 10,000 of them...

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-r...crews/=1at2uqu
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
McMaster.com and lookups on ebay have saved my bacon many times looking for hard to find tools and parts.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote