Chicky pails vs collapsible dish tubs - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-16-2019   #11

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I found these that are almost the same dimension as the sterelite tubs. They are collapsible and the number one complaint on the reviews is they are hard to collapse. I guess one mans problem is another mans benefit. I have some of the plain collapsible buckets and doing dishes in them would be a nightmare.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCMNKX1...v_ov_lig_dp_it

We usually carry a large can cooker on our trips that people do meals in so heating a lot of water is not a big concern.

i'm leaning this direction as i value my space on my boat and i think i have just the spot for these to fit.

The sterelite tubs are the most cost effective and wouldn't be a big waste of space as you can always fill them with extra stuff.

codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #12

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
I found these that are almost the same dimension as the sterelite tubs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCMNKX1...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The sterelite tubs are the most cost effective and wouldn't be a big waste of space as you can always fill them with extra stuff.

I use the Sterilite and they nest great and donít take up much space once filled. Another thing I like is that I have shades from black to white to reinforce which way to go when washing. I like that those collapsable one have dark to light colors.
Old 05-17-2019   #13

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
In my experience the nested Sterilite basins take up about the same space as the stacked collapsible wash bins. 4 of the collapsible ones stack to 7 1/2" tall, while 4 of the Sterilite nested are about 8" tall. Plus I can store my dish washing soap, scrubbies and drying mesh inside.

So if I do the math, 4 collapsible @ $16.63 = $58.52 vs. 4 Sterilite @ $3.13 = $12.52. It's a pretty clear choice for me.

I found a small cutting board about the same size as the sterilite tub, I cut slots in it for cam straps and I use it as a 'lid'.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #14
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Walmart galvanized tubs

I picked up these a year ago and they are great!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Ho...-Tub/977516109

I have a cat so square packs better for me. They stack nicely, I put all the cleaning supplies and the drying rack inside and found a nylon drawstring stuff sack they fit into. They are lighter weight than chicky pails but are substantial enough. They are often requested by the group.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I use four metal oil pans for dishes and one for a firepan/grill

Stack well, easy to warm water in and 13"-16" in dia. cheap

That's a GREAT idea!

I like Chickie pails because I can heat water in them, and the crew I boat with likes to do boil in bag meals...but Chickies are hard to store because they're taller than we really need for dishes...and that height on a counter-height table makes dishwashing an elbows-in-the-air project for short people.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #16

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
I run these. They nest realy well, are really heavy duty and they were made for dishes in the first place. They fit cutting boards better than Chicky pails and they clean up easily. I use a 4 pot system where the first pot is for rinsing, 2nd for washing, 3rd for rinse and fourth for sanitizing. With this the rinse water in the 3rd hardly ever gets nasty.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #17

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
OK, so a lot of love out there for plastic but I gotta say I've done all of the above (except the metal oil pans) and I wouldn't ever go back to plastic from the chickie pail system. I have a three pail system with a storage bag from Tough River Stuff. Cleaning supplies and coffee thermos goes in the middle. Like other said, I love being able to heat water directly, the handle makes it much easier to fetch water, don't crush when you load stuff on them, they last forever and well they aren't PLASTIC. Seriously, I went through probably 4 sets of plastic tubs over the years. Makes me wonder where all that plastic ended up?
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #18

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Put me on the side of being totally anti-collapsible. I have used them several times and find myself mumbling under my breath, "stupid piece of shit", meaning, the buckets and not the person who brought them. Perhaps the rigid collapsible will be better.

Perhaps like zbaird confessed of himself, I too am to clumsy to use them. Slop water always seems to end up all over the beach which I consider a cardinal sin.

What I use depends on the size of group. For self-support, very primitive, the single pot I brought for hot water. For a few people, a couple of small circular plastic tubs. For a slightly larger group I use four square plastic tubs. For large groups I use four chickie-pails.

I label my two four basin wash systems so that when asked by a rookie how do I do this all I have to say is read the directions(RYFM). Tub one is marked with bold sharpie, "1. slop,cold", then "2. wash,hot,soap", then "3. rinse,hot" and finally "4. cold,cap bleach".

To continue being particular, I teach to wash the basins in order before putting them away, i.e., wash basin 1 in basins 2,3,4; wash basin number 2 in 3 and 4; etc.

Labeling and thorough cleaning helps eliminate slimy cookware which occurs when you use what was previously the slop bucket for the current bleach bucket. Personally, I consider slimy cookware, dishes and utensils kinda unkool but I see it happen all too often.

I just saw jgrebe's anti-plastic comment. I agree with him. Plastic is hard to clean. Washing and labeling the tubs helps their longevity but they eventually always crap out. Next time I replace I'll go enamel or something similar for my small wash systems. I also find plastic dishes and utensils hard to get adequately clean but perhaps that should be another thread.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #19

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrebe View Post
OK, so a lot of love out there for plastic but I gotta say I've done all of the above (except the metal oil pans) and I wouldn't ever go back to plastic from the chickie pail system. I have a three pail system with a storage bag from Tough River Stuff.

This is what I use as well, can't be beat in my opinion. My pails are seamless and enameled, found years ago at a garage sale, it makes for easy cleaning. I see them from time to time, usually at garage sales. Tuffriverstuff made me a custom bag for them, as they are a little larger than what they sell.

The metal oil pans sound great, but for the fact they don't have handles, and I would think would require frequent water changes with a large group.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019   #20

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
The metal oil pans sound great, but for the fact they don't have handles, and I would think would require frequent water changes with a large group.
I'm sort of a dishwashing purist.

If your Slop bucket starts getting scummy, CHANGE IT! If it's so nasty that it starts gunking 2-3-4, it would have been easier to start with a fresh #1!

And scraping plates into the trash (or like Mama taught me, finish your food!) takes a lot of work out of degunking in #1.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote