Mountain Buzz banner

Chicken lines

8K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  k2andcannoli 
#1 ·
I never really thought this through. My last boat had a 3/8 rope chicken line tied at each D-ring. I finally got a new boat so . . .

I see a lot of boats with webbing. Pros ? Cons? Tied at each D-ring or not.

#2 ·
My buddy has webbing and it is too hard to grab as we all believe that loose perimeter line will snag your leg eventually. I've been tossed out of my boat and snagged my 1/2 inch line as I passed by upside down. I never would have been able to grab webbing. Also I tie a munter hitch a every other d-ring all the way around.

#3 ·
I would say if you are willing to take the time and expenditure of tieing rope as individual segments between D-rings, go for it. its not going to hurt, so long you get the lines tight to an inflated boat.

The pro would be similar to that of multi chambered rafts. that is if you break one, you still have a few to relay on. Also, in segments of rope you risk less entrapment when the boat fails, albeit not mush less entrapment.

as far as webbing vs rope goes, get it tight around an inflated boat and either will work.

Chicken /O.S. lines are a source of security as well as danger. I have seen and understand both arguments and tend to side with lack ther of.

But every river and operation has their specific needs, you just need to find yours.

#7 ·
I use them and have never had an issue with entrapment. They have proven valuable in case of a flip . I always go upstream of the raft beats a long swim. Also great when the kids decide to take a swim in slow sections of the river. My entrapment issue has been with legs getting trapped under dry boxes that are suspended on the frame. My sister had her leg entrapped up to her knee under one of those boxes during a big wave dump in the Grand Canyon. I still use them but don't under estimate them for entrapments. I put a munter hitch on each d-ring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.