Chicken lines - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 07-02-2017   #1

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Chicken lines

I never really thought this through. My last boat had a 3/8 rope chicken line tied at each D-ring. I finally got a new boat so . . .

I see a lot of boats with webbing. Pros ? Cons? Tied at each D-ring or not.

Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2017   #2

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
My buddy has webbing and it is too hard to grab as we all believe that loose perimeter line will snag your leg eventually. I've been tossed out of my boat and snagged my 1/2 inch line as I passed by upside down. I never would have been able to grab webbing. Also I tie a munter hitch a every other d-ring all the way around.
Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017   #3

Bellvue, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguelawyer View Post
I never really thought this through. My last boat had a 3/8 rope chicken line tied at each D-ring. I finally got a new boat so . . .

I see a lot of boats with webbing. Pros ? Cons? Tied at each D-ring or not.
I would say if you are willing to take the time and expenditure of tieing rope as individual segments between D-rings, go for it. its not going to hurt, so long you get the lines tight to an inflated boat.

The pro would be similar to that of multi chambered rafts. that is if you break one, you still have a few to relay on. Also, in segments of rope you risk less entrapment when the boat fails, albeit not mush less entrapment.

as far as webbing vs rope goes, get it tight around an inflated boat and either will work.

Chicken /O.S. lines are a source of security as well as danger. I have seen and understand both arguments and tend to side with lack ther of.

But every river and operation has their specific needs, you just need to find yours.
39571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2017   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Sissy straps
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #5

I have been using webbing that is connected together with 2 small cam straps on either side. That way in theory it can easily be undone in case of entrapment or anything else.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Sissy straps
Douche bag.
mkashzg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017   #7

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I use them and have never had an issue with entrapment. They have proven valuable in case of a flip . I always go upstream of the raft beats a long swim. Also great when the kids decide to take a swim in slow sections of the river. My entrapment issue has been with legs getting trapped under dry boxes that are suspended on the frame. My sister had her leg entrapped up to her knee under one of those boxes during a big wave dump in the Grand Canyon. I still use them but don't under estimate them for entrapments. I put a munter hitch on each d-ring
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017   #8

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
I've used both ropes and webbing. I use webbing now and tied it with the boat partially deflated so it's tight. Webbing tends to not catch errant fly casts as easily.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkashzg View Post
Douche bag.
Triggered
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote