cheap, light raft floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2017   #1

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
cheap, light raft floor

Finally got around to cutting a piece of the "pallet" material to fit front of raft floor. Couple of pool noodles to cover sharp edges. The rower's floor will be a full piece, 30"x48" I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	raft floor 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	14553   Click image for larger version

Name:	raft floor 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	14561  

PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Sweet!!!

Do you think it is lighter than 3/8 plywood? I know where I can get one of those plastic pallets and maybe upgrade my floor.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Careful of the pool noodles,they won't last long then you got sharp edges to deal with on the river. Better to router the edges smooth then put noodles on for how ever long they will last.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017   #4

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Pool noodles

I used foam pipe insulation instead of a pool noodle. The insulation already has a slit. I drilled holes through the floor about an inch from the edge and lashed the insulation on with a light cord. It has lasted a long time.
Old 02-21-2017   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
You posted about these the same time last year and after seeing it I decided to give it a try. I originally set up my boat with one for the cooler/captians bays and one for rocket boxes/gear. I was really happy with how the one under the rocket boxes and gear worked. But the other one did not work that well. The biggest problem is that when they get hot they are extremely flexible to the point I would rather just stand on the raft floor. So i ended up taking it out.

Jesse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0993.jpg (1,001.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0992.jpg (1,004.4 KB, 117 views)
Jessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017   #6

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
You posted about these the same time last year and after seeing it I decided to give it a try. I originally set up my boat with one for the cooler/captians bays and one for rocket boxes/gear. I was really happy with how the one under the rocket boxes and gear worked. But the other one did not work that well. The biggest problem is that when they get hot they are extremely flexible to the point I would rather just stand on the raft floor. So i ended up taking it out.

Jesse
Yep, didn't find the old thread. I'm sure the pool noodles won't last more than a few trips, but they were around. I plan on drilling a few strategic holes and using cord or zip ties to hold the pipe insulation in place.
Haven't had the floor out in the hot sun, so will keep that in mind. It will mainly be used on a tailwater for trout fishing. Maybe the 50 degree water will help.

Oh, and it is way lighter than 3/8 plywood.
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote