Cheap China rubber - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-18-2018   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Cheap China rubber

I recently read a thread about 5 year old Maxxon tubes springing leaks. There have been many threads about cheap pvc imports. Many people weight the cost vs life expectancy vs days on the water.

As with any new(er) company, I rely on the “time will tell” motto regarding their products. Does anybody out there have good or bad reports about these very tempting rafts? I know some of the companies brag about how their China pvc is diffferent, or what makes them tougher, however I’m curious about real field results over time. Are there any older cheap ones that have proven themselves?

Sounds like 5 years on some cat tubes is really short, let alone really sketchy for long trips where everyone in the group relies on the boats to deliver. Do I need to be concerned that I may have to haul out double the dunnage and people when somebody shows up with a 6 year old China-cheap boat in my group and it fails?

What are others objective opinions on this subject?

tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018   #2

Central Point, Oregon
Sounds like a great recipe for an unplanned pregnancy. You don’t save money if you have to buy it more than once!
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
How about when somebody shows up with a 1987 Campways that has to get topped off every morning and evening?
markhusbands is online now   Reply With Quote