CHEAP CAM STRAPS - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-18-2015   #1

Boise, Idaho
CHEAP CAM STRAPS

Looking for the best deal on some 1" cam webbing straps. Was talking with Mr. Salamander Paddle Gear/New River strap maker himself and he wouldn't sell me straps unless i went through his retailers or website. Unfortunately I'll now go to harbor freight and pay almost half as much. HF has two dollar straps plus an extra 20 percent off coupon. Anyone else know of a better deal out there right now?

Thanks

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015   #2

albuquerque, New Mexico
HF straps are shit. Why not buy through salamander's website? the grab bags are the cheapest decent straps you are gonna find anywhere.
bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015   #3

cedar city, Utah
Not cheaper but Backcountry.com has NRS straps on sale for 10% off right now.

I might recommend avoiding going the "cheap" route when it comes to the straps holding upwards of a couple thousand dollars worth of gear securely to your boat/tubes. As I understand it Harbor Freight may not be the best for quality control and their straps have relatively low listed SWL or breaking strengths. If/when you flip the force generated by a major hydraulic could easily stress your straps to the limit. There is a reason most of the WW brands are going to stronger (either wider or better technical materials) cam straps. Throw in UV degradation and things could get grim for cheapo straps made overseas with limited QC and unknown tolerances/specs.

Just a thought...your mileage may vary.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015   #4

Boise, Idaho
I actually really like new river straps, which I understand are salamander, but i prefer to go to a store and get them. Just the fast food american in me I guess. I know HF are garbage, but in the six or seven seasons I have been running them I have had zero failures. I know they're weak, so if its a critical point I slap two on there. They're so cheap I just keep going back to them. I cut off the excess import webbing and buy cheap buckles and stitch even more straps. They're inferior in every way...except for cost. In the last several seasons I have had multiple failures from new river and nrs webbing rotting and snapping, and I have also seen some smashed cascade outfitters buckles.
Old 02-19-2015   #5
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I ordered a set from strapworks last season, and yes, I had to wait like 3 days before the were at my door. Totally worth it, very good price. The basic rafter kit works out to 3 bucks per strap, totally worth if for a quality product. I got an oddball color, and everybody knows they are mine. I wrote the length in them with a sharpie, and I'm totally happy with them.
Old 02-19-2015   #6

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learch View Post
I ordered a set from strapworks last season, and yes, I had to wait like 3 days before the were at my door. Totally worth it, very good price. The basic rafter kit works out to 3 bucks per strap, totally worth if for a quality product. I got an oddball color, and everybody knows they are mine. I wrote the length in them with a sharpie, and I'm totally happy with them.
U R Smart.

I like strap works too.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Why not support one of the MB advertisers?

Tuff River Stuff - Superior river and camping equipment and quality rafting equipment

Ray makes great straps and will make them to any length you want.

That is where I get all my straps.
Old 02-19-2015   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
In the case of cam straps, you get what you pay for. My Strapworks straps failed quickly, basically disintegrated in the UV in the matter of a few years. I still have functioning NRS straps that are over 20 years old. TRS straps are bomber.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015   #9

Boise, Idaho
Looks like no one has found any good deals on cheap straps...
Old 02-19-2015   #10
J9er

Arboles, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Best Cam Straps

You could always check out our straps at Stitches 'N Stuff. They may not be the "cheapest", but we personally guarantee they are made in Colorado, USA, and are the best available. We've been making them for 20+ years!
Home for Whitewater Rafting, Float Fishing , Kayaking Gear Cheers - Jan
Stitches 'N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote