Change my rubber? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-15-2019   #1
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Change my rubber?

I have an early 90’s Hyside with military valves that has life left but needs some attention/maintenance. A Maxxon has just popped up on local classifieds in looks like decent shape with more modern valves. I don’t know much about these boats. Should I keep the hyside or trade it in for the younger lady?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7063E2E5-AF16-4BAF-86A7-31015299B22B_1547619646307.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	32823   Click image for larger version

Name:	6350B112-3346-44AB-BE72-0883A7E04451_1547619714409.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	32825  

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
While am not a fan of Military Valves... unless the Hyside is falling apart I'd probably stick with that. Maxxon is a bargain brand and I'd be surprised if it lasted as long into the future as your Hyside.

I would either upgrade to a different boat or keep the one you have (probably the later).

I wish I could tell you that putting new valves into the Hyside is the way to go....its VERY involved and has high potential to get messed up. I asked the local boat repair places what they would need to upgrade them and they said $500 per valve. I assume this price was quoted to persuade me not to do it due to the pain in the ass factor.

I still have a Hyside from that era in storage....and while I was using it I was thinking it would be cool to design a valve similar to the Leafield valves but that could screw into the Military Valve slots. Something with a check valve and less prone to leakage. I upgraded boats...so lost interest but might be worth letting someone else pursue.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
If your Hyside is in decent shape I would keep it over the Maxxon every day of the week. Military Valves aren't as convenient as Leafields but I wouldn't want a lesser boat over that alone. If the Hyside is falling apart at the seams or is worn down to nothing, you may consider it knowing that you are downgrading in quality.

$500 per valve is a steep quote and it certainly didn't come from me. Maybe I need to raise prices. Military valve replacements are $250-300. On the rare occasion that an I-beam is compromised in the floor valve replacement process it can be a little more but Ive never been in the $500 range for a valve in 12 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019   #4

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
$500 per valve? you need a new repair shop. Its super easy I've done it many times. Cut out the valve boot leaving a round hole. Cut a large circle that will cover at least 4 inches all around the existing hole. Cut hole in the patch for new valve. Install new valve in patch. Glue patch over hole and done. It takes all of an hour plus the cost of the valve. I think maxxon is junk I wouldn't own one. Stick with the hyside, put new valves if you want or sell it and upgrade.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Newpc,
If you can do complete valve swaps in an hour, you're hired!! The way I do it is not an hour job. I pull out all the old boot material/ cover patches, use an inside and outside patch, so it is a "little" more involved than you described above. Certainly isn't rocket science, just a bunch of effort to make it look pretty and hold air. Id be surprised if you get them to hold well with no inside patch.
Old 01-16-2019   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Ok...looked it up and $500 per valve was indeed double the price I was quoted. I guess I just remember it being MUCH more expensive then I expected (I was thinking $50-100 per valve). Still, considering I paid $1000 for the boat...spending $1250 replacing all the valves at $250 a pop was a bit steep.

While I'm sure I could accomplish this myself... this kind of job is certainly worth having a professional do it.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #7

Craigamerica, -
Another idea on replacing the valves (which I'm thinking of doing this on my old rogue) is leave the military valves intake but locate new valves in a better spot, like a maravia or sotar. I know the hyside valves are on the outside of the boat, my Rogue sucks becuase they are located on the inside.
I have to pull out my cooler to get the front champers and my captain boxes to get to the back. I over inflate the shit out of my rogue so once it hits the cold water its just about right on psi. Pulling a 220 canyon frozen solid isn,t happening.
Old 01-16-2019   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
I have a mid-90's Riken Nez Pierce with military valves and I have put 17 patches on her, re-glued seams, and put interior seal to keep the pin holes in check. I run her a little soft because I worry about the seams. Now I have to put air in every couple days on a multiday trip.
I wouldn't consider a used Maxxon an upgrade. I would consider a used RMR or Tributary an upgrade. I would look for one of those if you are looking for lower priced rubber (yes, I know they are PVC). In fact, in a couple of years when the student loan is gone, that's what I'm going to do.
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019   #9

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Newpc,
If you can do complete valve swaps in an hour, you're hired!! The way I do it is not an hour job. I pull out all the old boot material/ cover patches, use an inside and outside patch, so it is a "little" more involved than you described above. Certainly isn't rocket science, just a bunch of effort to make it look pretty and hold air. Id be surprised if you get them to hold well with no inside patch.
How much you payin? Lol Yea if you're doing it the best way like you are its much more involved. I didn't have to warranty my work since it was for the raft company I worked at. On the older Avon pros we did it to, they held for commercial use for many years until the boats were sold off. Might be still holding if the boats are still in use, probably not though they were conventional floors. Never had a failure, probably did 4 boats so 24 valves. Of course that was in the good old days when you could get 2 part bostik, one big round patch. I'm not impressed with the glues you can get now. I've rarely used an inside patch, though the one pro that flew off the trailer into an oncoming car, required one it was a 3' by 2' L rip going from below the waterline, through the yellow chafer, and even tore a d-ring patch/.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpc View Post
How much you payin? Lol Yea if you're doing it the best way like you are its much more involved. I didn't have to warranty my work since it was for the raft company I worked at. On the older Avon pros we did it to, they held for commercial use for many years until the boats were sold off. Might be still holding if the boats are still in use, probably not though they were conventional floors. Never had a failure, probably did 4 boats so 24 valves. Of course that was in the good old days when you could get 2 part bostik, one big round patch. I'm not impressed with the glues you can get now. I've rarely used an inside patch, though the one pro that flew off the trailer into an oncoming car, required one it was a 3' by 2' L rip going from below the waterline, through the yellow chafer, and even tore a d-ring patch/.
That there is a rookie move. If I pay someone to replace a valve, it better be done with both inside and outside patch.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote