Chaco's rubbing through skin - Mountain Buzz
 

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2016   #1
 
InflatableSteve's Avatar
 
Cave Creek, Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 688
Chaco's rubbing through skin

So the straps of my Chaco's have been rubbing through the skin on my toes. It gets me right by the top knuckle of my big toes. First hike out it took about 8 miles before they started to hurt, then the other day they were bugging me at the end of a 3 mile hike. Do I need a different size? Are my straps not fitted right?

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2016   #2
 
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 502
Could be sand in the straps, or they may have loosened or tightened with wear, wouldn't hurt to give the straps a good cleaning and re-fit.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #3
 
Fort Collins, Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 141
Are they brand new? If so, like most shoes, they will need time to wear in. I like to wear mine in non-harsh conditions for quite a while before I subject them to the river, hiking, etc. Make a point to wear them at home and around town. Get them wet from time to time and wear them until they dry (or start hurting). After a bit they will break in and be good to go. You may also want to loosen the straps. I wear mine fairly loose, but still secure. I find when I tighten them too much they tend to rub a lot more. Also, while some folks happily wear them for long hikes, that really isn't what they are generally suited for. The only situation I ever wear them for hiking is if I'm on the river and it will be a pretty short hike. I would never just leave my house for a long hike planning on wearing Chacos. If I'm on the river and I know I'll be doing a long hike, I bring my hiking boots. Maybe some folks with tougher feet than mine can hike regularly in sandals, but I'm a firm believer that hiking boots are for hiking.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2016   #4
 
InflatableSteve's Avatar
 
Cave Creek, Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 688
Thanks. They aren't brand new, but pretty new. I have worn them on about 10 or so hikes, a few day trips and a 4 day Salt trip. I will try loosening them.


Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016   #5
 
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatableSteve View Post
So the straps of my Chaco's have been rubbing through the skin on my toes. It gets me right by the top knuckle of my big toes. First hike out it took about 8 miles before they started to hurt, then the other day they were bugging me at the end of a 3 mile hike. Do I need a different size? Are my straps not fitted right?
That is why I had to go away from Chaco's, back to Teva/Keens. Part of the problem for me was that the straps would continue to tighten while I was walking in them, to the point that it would cut off circulation. I think they're great, but not for me.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #6
Misspellingintothefuture!
 
mattman's Avatar
 
Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,901
Sounds like you could have a piece of thorn or something in the webbing, I have had that happen once or twice.
By the way, I am totally jealous that you are able to wear chacos right now, it is snowing hear( which is good, but still)
__________________
We can't always agree, but we can still be civil to each other.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #7
 
2kanzam's Avatar
 
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 462
On one of my backpacking trips last year I took my chacos to primarily wade/fish in. By the second day my feet were worn so raw, there was no way I would have been able to walk out had I not brough proper hiking boots. Even so, I had to use a whole tube of superglue just to cover my wounds before leaving.

I know this was mainly because of the sand and stinging nettles that got in between the straps as I waded for probably 5 miles or so....and I also don't typically hike in chacos, I prefer boots.

What I did this winter was sew some soft beer coozy material to the places that gave me trouble. It feels really nice and hopefully it allows me to hike and wade in them more easily. Even with the upgrade though, they'll never replace good boots. I really typically just wear chacos while boating, but have been looking for better long distance warm weather wading shoes that dry quickly. Chacos are *almost* perfect for that.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #8
 
InflatableSteve's Avatar
 
Cave Creek, Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Sounds like you could have a piece of thorn or something in the webbing, I have had that happen once or twice.
By the way, I am totally jealous that you are able to wear chacos right now, it is snowing hear( which is good, but still)
Yeah, we can pretty much wear sandals year round here, but our rafting season is supper short. So just think of that snow as future river time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
On one of my backpacking trips last year I took my chacos to primarily wade/fish in. By the second day my feet were worn so raw, there was no way I would have been able to walk out had I not brough proper hiking boots. Even so, I had to use a whole tube of superglue just to cover my wounds before leaving.

I know this was mainly because of the sand and stinging nettles that got in between the straps as I waded for probably 5 miles or so....and I also don't typically hike in chacos, I prefer boots.

What I did this winter was sew some soft beer coozy material to the places that gave me trouble. It feels really nice and hopefully it allows me to hike and wade in them more easily. Even with the upgrade though, they'll never replace good boots. I really typically just wear chacos while boating, but have been looking for better long distance warm weather wading shoes that dry quickly. Chacos are *almost* perfect for that.
I use to wear nothing but boots, now I can't stand them. Unless there is snow on the ground, I am probably in sandals.


Anyone tried these? They are light and flexible like my Shamma's, and have a more secure strap like my Chaco's.

Amuri Z-Trek Lightweight Sport Sandal - Men - Xero Shoes
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #9
 
elkhaven's Avatar
 
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,181
I'm a long time Chaco wearer, converted from Alps when they quit making them... I pretty much wear them as often as possible, I also hate boots. I've had problems on occasion with wear, usually related to sand under the strap and am fairly religious about stopping and brushing sand out when ever I feel it.

I run mine pretty loose, I usually have the top strap totally loose and the for foot/toe strap just tight enough to minimize movement. When I need better support, I snug down the top strap - "locking in the hubs" as I call it.

One question - which ones do you have? With our without big toe strap?

When I first transitioned I didn't think I'd like the toe strap so I went without. I really wasn't all that happy, then I tried a pair with the toe and it was amazingly more solid and it didn't bug me at all. I think the toe strap is key to them fitting solidly without having to be tight and if they're tight more shit gets trapped between strap and skin... Just my .02
__________________
"If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do"
-Warren Miller
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016   #10
 
InflatableSteve's Avatar
 
Cave Creek, Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I'm a long time Chaco wearer, converted from Alps when they quit making them... I pretty much wear them as often as possible, I also hate boots. I've had problems on occasion with wear, usually related to sand under the strap and am fairly religious about stopping and brushing sand out when ever I feel it.

I run mine pretty loose, I usually have the top strap totally loose and the for foot/toe strap just tight enough to minimize movement. When I need better support, I snug down the top strap - "locking in the hubs" as I call it.

One question - which ones do you have? With our without big toe strap?

When I first transitioned I didn't think I'd like the toe strap so I went without. I really wasn't all that happy, then I tried a pair with the toe and it was amazingly more solid and it didn't bug me at all. I think the toe strap is key to them fitting solidly without having to be tight and if they're tight more shit gets trapped between strap and skin... Just my .02
Thanks, I have the Z/1 (no toe strap). I also figured I wouldn't like the toe strap. I don't think I will be buying a new pair any time soon though. I will try to figure out a way to make these work, then when they wear out I will look into the Z/2s.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raft help advice - discoloration from drybox rubbing? erdvm1 Rafting | Gear Talk 7 08-18-2015 01:32 AM
Where have you been in your Chaco's ckspaddler Commercial Posts 18 07-06-2010 02:06 PM
Found 1 Chaco at BV Playpark Buckrodgers Lost & Found 0 07-07-2009 10:46 PM
Lost Chaco's. Gore Canyon 9/10 E-Ro Lost & Found 0 09-11-2008 05:32 PM
Lost chaco, left foot, size 10 kiwi si Lost & Found 0 06-04-2005 07:33 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.