Cautionary tale- trailer maintenance. - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2017   #1

D Block, Colorado
Paddling Since: 90s
Cautionary tale- trailer maintenance.

Just got home from a little mayhem. Heading out for a Sunday put in on San Juan. Hub came loose on my trailer and welded pieces of the bearings to the axel. Smokey wheel with axel grease everywhere. Got a reasonable tow back to rifle truck and trailer ( happened just outside of parachute) from ace towing. He even attempted to fix it for me at autozone but couldn't pop the piece off the axel. Part of my party was leaving Carbondale tomorrow, so they came
Down and grabbed all my gear. We Borrowed a new trailer, all set to leave tomorrow and will have no prob making Sunday put in.

Annnnywaaaays, friendly reminder to Go get your bearings re packed and trailer checked out. Lucky this didn't happen around Dewey bridge, where we were planning on camping tonight. I'm sure some of you are on top of this stuff, but if I save just one other group from highway shoulder drama. I've done my job.

Happy runoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

kschwartz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017   #2
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
If you live in northern Colorado I'll repack them for you for a reasonable price. Basically you buy the beer!!!! I work full time as a mechanic and have 25 yrs experience. You will be responsible for parts too. Bearings if needed grease seals.if your trailer sits all winter without moving be ready to buy bearings because it does not take much moister to etch the bearings. A hub coming apart will ruin your trip, and if your like me you live for your trips. Nothing could be worse than losing a weekend on the river.
Old 05-13-2017   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Witness. On the way to the Smith a couple years ago I had the same problem in Great Falls. I noticed it in the gas station. I went over to the Days Inn across the road to ask if I could leave the trailer in their lot for the week. Desk clerk said "sure and I'll send my maintenance guy to have a look" Ray came out and said I can fix it this week while you're on the river for 40$ plus parts. I gave him 50$ and a jar of tax free liquor and drove away not knowing if I would ever see my little trailer again. Got back a week later to the trailer in the same spot with both sets of bearings repacked good as new. I gave Ray another jar and the next thing I did was put on some of those bearing caps with the grease zerks so it doesn't happen again.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017   #4

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
......and the next thing I did was put on some of those bearing caps with the grease zerks so it doesn't happen again.
x2!!!
Old 05-13-2017   #5
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Bearing buddies are really just ok. They do not repack the bearing. Inspecting the bearing is worth more than the lube job. Is your bearing showing rail road tracks from overloading? Micro hazing from watered down grease? Is it spalling? The problem with bearing buddies is you never get a look. Hell you don't even know how much grease you really give it each time. Be sure to pull apart your hubs every couple of years or so even with your bearing buddies.
Old 05-14-2017   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
Bearing buddies are really just ok. They do not repack the bearing. Inspecting the bearing is worth more than the lube job. Is your bearing showing rail road tracks from overloading? Micro hazing from watered down grease? Is it spalling? The problem with bearing buddies is you never get a look. Hell you don't even know how much grease you really give it each time. Be sure to pull apart your hubs every couple of years or so even with your bearing buddies.
I agree with you 100% but I do like bearing buddies. The spring loaded original design keeps positive pressure in the hub cavity, and I think it helps when we dunk our trailer axles. I still pack mine regularly to make sure I keep the moisture out, and keep everything running smoothly. They are an add on but I wouldn't shorten my service intervals because of their use.
Old 05-14-2017   #7

Denver, Colorado
How often( time or miles) do you recommend repacking them? I don't want to leave a trip on the side of the road in some hard to get to place!
Thanks
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #8
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Well it depends. Do you use your tailer alot? Do you load it up heavy? Does it sit in a snowbank all winter? If your like me you don't keep it in a snowbank. You load it light and primarily use it on weekends from may to August. I'd check them every other year or so then. My grease seals run 3.25 each,. Not a lot of money for peace of mind,. Just check them if you have any doubt.
Old 05-14-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
When you stop take a minute and check your bearings! Feel the hub around the axle. It should not even be warm (unless you have trailer brakes). If so you need them repacked. You should be able to finish your trip if they are only warm but they are in serious need of maintenance.

Bearing buddies are designed to help push/keep the water out when you submerge the axle but they put a lot of pressure on your grease seals too. If you are not submerging it you don't need to repack them very often.

It is an easy do it yourself job if you are that type of person.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #10
North Fork

Sandpoint, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
I got a cheap bearing repacking "press" from NAPA for a few bucks. You just put the bearing in between these plastic cones, screw it down, and attach a grease gun to the fitting. Pump away and the bearing is repacked. Works great. I do mine every couple years no matter what. And I also have bearing buddies on my old trailer, but the new one I'm picking up will probably not have them. I agree that the bearing buddies keep physical lubricant pressure on the bearings, but are not a cure all. But overall they are great. Pay attention to the inner seals as well. No bearing job rebuild is complete without them!
Patrick Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote