Cataraft setup help - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-30-2015   #1

Cataraft setup help

I'm a 10 yr paddle guide about to purchase a new cataraft setup from NRS. This will be my first oar rig. It will spend lots of time on the rivers in Colorado and Utah. My hope is to get the best of both worlds, comfortable for 2 people on week long whitewater trips but as small and sporty as logical. With this in mind I'm considering the Aire Lion tubes at 14'. With the NRS top cat frame. Just big enough for dry box and large cooler. 72"x107". 9 1/2' Carlisle oars. I would appreciate any feed back!!!! Does this sizing all seem right? Any downside to any of these products? Thanks in advance people!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Coloradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I had a 14' lion tubes with a 3 bay frame for several years and loved it's versatility. I added a footbar for a front passenger to use. Loved how easy it was to move that boat on any water. Very stable in big water, floated pretty high in low water.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Two words, Wave Destroyer. 15'
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2015   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Two words, Wave Destroyer. 15'
Spider can't count. 15 is a word.

see if you can find a good price on a used Jag. The lion is a good gear hauling boat but its not what I would term "sporty", I've rowed a 16 lion and would prefer a longer lenght boat with more curves .. ...
Old 05-01-2015   #5

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Just thought Id be specific for the sake of the thread. Been rowing two up in my 14'. Love it. Wouldn't hesitate to row two up with light gear in a 15'. Brotorboat has the 15. He can give a valid opinion on its capacity.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #6

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
For a 14 Aire lion gear boat (or other cat tubes used with a 72" wide frame where you will be loaded at times) I believe 10' oars might be more appropriate (not speaking from much personal experience, only from what I've read, heard, and a few days rowing a buddies loaded 14' raft with 10' oars).
SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #7

Boise, Idaho
I have a 12' wd, an ocelot, and a jag. A friend has a 14' lion and another has the 15' wd. All are great boats. With two people and gear for a week the 14' lion could get a bit tight and the 15 footer would probably hold even less weight. I would say if you're focused on multi-days get a jag. The lion is a great do it all boat and a friend runs class IV+ whitewater in it and lots of gear on expeditions, but gear + passenger on any 14' cat is pushing it, esp. with a heavy nrs frame. If you know you're going to be doing long trips I would recommend a jag with day frame and cargo module(s) for making easy switches. The jag is plenty sporty and small enough for day truns, and if packed and loaded right it could do some pretty big trips.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #8

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
I have a 12' wd, an ocelot, and a jag. A friend has a 14' lion and another has the 15' wd. All are great boats. With two people and gear for a week the 14' lion could get a bit tight and the 15 footer would probably hold even less weight. I would say if you're focused on multi-days get a jag. The lion is a great do it all boat and a friend runs class IV+ whitewater in it and lots of gear on expeditions, but gear + passenger on any 14' cat is pushing it, esp. with a heavy nrs frame. If you know you're going to be doing long trips I would recommend a jag with day frame and cargo module(s) for making easy switches. The jag is plenty sporty and small enough for day truns, and if packed and loaded right it could do some pretty big trips.
I went with the day frame and am adding a cargo/passenger module from Madcatr for the same reasons. Good advice here.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #9

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I went with the 14' wave destroyer and sport cat frame. I like the challenge of the smaller setup in whitewater and in terms of rigging. Also bc the boat will be on some technical rivers. I can not wait for the UPS truck to show up!!!!

Coloradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #10

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I personally would have looked at the big legend I think its 15' 6". I also am a firm believer in the main frame with trailer set up for versatility.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft