Cataraft Frame Re-Flip Thwart & Mount - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2017   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Cataraft Frame Re-Flip Thwart & Mount

For those who use reflip thwarts on your cats: I'm just wondering if you can tell me what size of thwart you are using? (diameter x length in inches roughly?). I realize that some of you just pull one off of your raft and use that and it is what it is. Just curious if there is a minimum size dimension you feel works better than others (for those who practice reflips anyways) - is bigger, better, is there a too small diameter to make a difference?

Maiden voyage is this coming Friday, but I set the cataraft up in the Living room the other day (shitty day outside, would have set it up in the car port but got stuff in the way right now) to get a feel for alignment and all that and came up with an idea that may not be new. As you can see by the picture with my rear seat bracket mounted, I was thinking that this may be a worthwhile mount for a thwart installed longitudinally (parallel with length of the boat). But it got me to thinking if there was enough surface area for the thwart to make it truly secure/hold it in place and not have some of it get pushed in/up when upside down rendering it less effective than it could be. It got me thinking - if I could get a bracket built out of the same flat plate type/thickness & width as the rear seat mount pictured, and it would start behind the rear cross bar and run all the way forward underneath the rowers seat. Cut out slots in the plate that are the same as the rowers seat mount and you can sandwich this flat plate between the rowers seat mount and rowers seat using the mounting bolts and you could anchor it to the rear cross bar using U-bolts like the rear seat mount presently is. Then have some slots cut out in 2 places along this flat plate to strap the thwart to it. The strap slots could also double as lashing points for cam straps to keep cargo below this thwart mount at bay better and would effectively divide the bay in two as well which would make accessing dry bags and the gear below it on the deck more convenient. Thoughts? I hope I conveyed this well enough to give you a picture in your mind anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2138.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	16786  

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017   #2

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1491878476.162259.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	16794Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1491878496.014433.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	16802
More pics showing rear removeable cargo deck and rear seat bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-10-2017   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sounds like I need to learn what re-flip thwarts are( I tend to lag behind with the times),
but damn am I glad your contractor did not install engineered flooring on your ceiling speycatr!
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017   #4

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
LOL

Old 04-10-2017   #5

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Nice seat bracket. Been looking for something like that for my Madcatr frame. Did you rig that up yourself?
washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017   #6

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Dave built it for my frame as an option for $80 (for just the bracket - seat is an NRS high back for $100+ish) and it was powder/clear coated when the frame went in for it. I'd imagine if you had him fab up a stand alone bracket and wanted it powder coated there may be a small fee on top of the $80 to do this. Dave will give you the inside scoop obviously. It mounts with 2 u bolts plus it has a reinforcement gusset underneath so the seat will not move at all - very solid! Bracket has mounting slots for the rand less low back and high back seats along with the folding pontoon boat style seats.

Old 04-29-2017   #7

Sandpoint, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Dave is building my frame right now and I did order a seat bracket like yours too! Can't wait! Did you make the floor? I think using the seat bracket for the reflip thwart would work great! Is that a 15ft WD?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Purplepaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #8

Sandpoint, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2012
If your boat is 15' I would look at the dimensions of the 15'6,17'6 and 18'3 Aire thwarts to see what would fit best. I have a 13' WD and was considering the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Purplepaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017   #9

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Purplepaddler - Dave made the floor (checkerplate aluminum with reinforcement underneath). It is obviously removeable and Dave designed it to affix to the boat with 4 cam straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzzy
Old 04-29-2017   #10

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
I don't believe I would need a thwart that large - I was thinking more like one from a Puma or Super Puma...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzzy

Tags
cataraft