Cata-rafts 4 Noobs - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-19-2012   #1

My Truck, United States
Paddling Since: 2010
Cata-rafts 4 Noobs

Hello All,

I am getting into the inflatable whitewater scene and pulling as many others as possible with me. My latest win-over was my parents. I told them that i could probably get $1000 bux for the old silverware they had sitting in closets around the house if they would just use the money as the beginning of a Cata-Raft fund. Well it worked, we got $1,200 for the silverware and now they're really thinking about which company, which boat, etc. Now the research begins. I thought i would start here because you all seem to know so much about this kind of stuff, so this is what i'm asking:

Anyone have boat suggestions for a cataraft capable of packing a good amount of gear and able to run up to class IV whitewater? I'm currently looking in the 16' range.
Thanks to all for replies,

Dipper

dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
$1200 will get you about 1/3 of way there if you are buying used.

Yes to, maravia, sotar, aire, nrs, hyside.

No, to canyon, saturn, maxxon

There are other good and bad boats. just a good start.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #3

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I was able to buy a used 15' AIRE cataraft through Moutain Buzz about 2 years ago for about $1200. Keep in mind that the boat is only part of your cost. You also need to budget for oars, cam straps, drop bags, dry boxes, coolers, decking, air pump, spare parts, PFD's, etc.

Standard cats aren't really known for their cargo hauling capabilities. To haul lots of gear you will need to modify a basic frame to add decking and tie points for dry boxes and drop bags. Rafts are easier to rig for gear hauling since they have a built-in floor, all you need to do is load them up and cover the top with a cargo net. Cat boats need a little more thought and effort plus many more cam straps
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
you might want to browse around nrs' or clavey's sites to get abit of an idea of prices and to get a better product knowledge of all the things you will need.

keep an eye on 'buzz's classifieds, nrs' gearswap and craiglist too for used gear. the reality is the less $$$ you have the more patience you will need to find and good boat for your needs. and as others have said, $1200 doesn't get you far unless you get super,super lucky.

you also need to be really careful going used at any price range. more so at the lower end. even more so being new to inflatables. leaking boats suck. repairs are time consuming or spendy if they are more than replacing d-rings. and ignorance can cost you allot of $$$ down the line if you don't know what to look for or what to ask.

nrs has allot of good info in their 'library'.
NRS - Product Support at NRSweb.com

another company to look at would be rocky mountain rafts. they have 16ft cat tubes. new kids on the block though.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Go used.

Lots of good deals out there at various price points. The hyside and Aire cats below would by far last the longest, the Aire is probably the most high performance, and the Maxxons are decent starter tubes.

16 Ft.Whitewater Cat w/welded frame

New Aire Ocelot Cataraft Package

Cataraft
14' cataraft w/ frame
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
A couple of things you've got going for you are the fact that its the offseason when boats are cheaper, and that you've got a few months to look around and keep saving up for a good deal when you find it. There are stories of folks finding a decent, complete used setup for about $1200 and with some help and work you may be able to do it, though it'll be a challenge to find a full 16' rig in your budget that'll be whitewater worthy. Also, if you want to take folks with you, its a lot easier in a regular raft than on a cat because seating on a cat can be difficult and will require more hardware.

You'll want to test for leaks and blown baffles, make sure the frame and oars are river-worthy, and remember to budget for straps and so forth. It may be a good time to drop $10 at Amazon for "The Complete Whitewater Rafter" by Jeff Bennett to start learning more about what you're getting into and the safety aspects. I think there's a section in there about buying a used boat too. you'll also have some learning before you'll be ready for Class IV, though Class III will be plenty of fun and much more accessible for a novice.

EDIT - the deals Piglet's found look pretty reasonable, you may need to set your sights on a 14' that will be more manuverable and easier to handle.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #7

My Truck, United States
Paddling Since: 2010
Great advice guys, thanks for the speedy replies. And just to clarify, my budget is about $3000. I like the idea of getting a book that would better inform me on the in's and out's of rafting equipment and selection.

I'll keep my eyes on the gear swap sites you guys suggested and for now i'll try to learn more about the differences in boats.

If any of you have suggestions for other reading material that may be beneficial for me please do let me know. Your advice is ever-helpful, thanks again

Dipper
dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #8
Cpt. No Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
Go used.

Lots of good deals out there at various price points. The hyside and Aire cats below would by far last the longest, the Aire is probably the most high performance, and the Maxxons are decent starter tubes.

16 Ft.Whitewater Cat w/welded frame

New Aire Ocelot Cataraft Package

Cataraft
14' cataraft w/ frame
I like door number 1. 16' hyside works for me. The price is right too!

If you must buy a glued pvc boat, go with a newer model. I would not through down good money on a 10+ year old glued pvc boat.

Glued hyplon on the other hand is solid.
Old 01-19-2012   #9

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
$1200 will get you about 1/3 of way there if you are buying used.

Yes to, maravia, sotar, aire, nrs, hyside.

No, to canyon, saturn, maxxon

There are other good and bad boats. just a good start.

I am wondering what you base your opinion on?

I haven't really seen any problems with the Maxxon tubes . Even though import. PVC GLUED

Hyside is all import now -haven't heard any bad HYPALON GLUED

Nrs all import and have never been my preference but I havent heard anything bad. URETHANE or PVC GLUED AND WELDED BOATS

Sotar, very nice but spendy URETHANE made in oregon WELDED

Canyon, very nice in PVC or URETHANE made in oregon WELDED

Aire some domestic made stuff obviously great quality. made in idaho WELDED

Saturn , I have no idea. GLUED

So I am wondering why you throw out this statement to someone new to the sport, yes, yes, no no but give no reasoning or documented failure or even know what he is planning to do with this cat? I know lots of people who don't have a 6000.00 cat budget
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #10
Cpt. No Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipper View Post
And just to clarify, my budget is about $3000.
Great, you will find a great set up at that price point.

Think about how you will store your cat. Urathene and pvc boats don't roll up like hyplon boats. Urathene likes to be partially inflaited all the time.

No boat likes the sun.

Aire boats are tough as nails and you can buy blatters. but heavy. I have a friend running a 20+ year old aire jag and its still going strong