Cat Tubes - Sotar vs Mariavia - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2017   #1

Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Cat Tubes - Sotar vs Mariavia

Hi -

Quick down and dirty questions.

I am looking for a set of 16'-0" cat tubes for a do it all boat (Two frames - day and boxed up) and have narrowed it down to Sotar and Mariavia. Not interested in Aire, I like a welded boat and want something that will last for years (I have Wing rafts). For wear and tear side of things I am leaning toward the Mariavia. I will also trade weight for durability all day long.

The question:

As an average joe blow, will I be able to tell the difference in performance between the Sotar and the Mariavia. Does the performance of Sotar out weight the durability of the Mariavia.

Thank’s in advance.
Chris

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I faced the same question this winter when I bought a larger set of cat tubes. In my case I didn't think performance would really matter with a loaded big boat and went with durability - Maravia.
Old 05-22-2017   #3

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/44330674

it's only a 15...but it's wing!
T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017   #4

I own both. I have 14 seasons on a set of maravias that I bought used. Not one patch one either tube. I washed it 2 years ago and I had people asking about my "NEW" tubes. I have a set of Sotar tubes that were new last year, nice and light, and they do very well, but I highly doubt I will get more than 10 years without at least some issue, they are clearly not as heavy or heavy duty.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017   #5

Thanks for the info, you confirmed what I was thinking.

If the wing was closer I would jump on it. My rafts are 20 years + and still going strong.
Old 05-23-2017   #6

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
One's a Tank; The other a Racecar

One's a Tank; The other,.... a Racecar
I don't view the comparison as logical. The only thing in common is knowing you're not going to die in a cheap-ass commie boat.
Old 05-24-2017   #7

Please explain the tank and the race car. Is it a shape thing or just the weight of the tubes. Did Mariavia up date there shape this year? I have two sotar cats (11 and 13)and to be honest all the shapes other than the extreme upturned tubes (Wave destroyer ect.) look to be very similar. I also see by your website that you sell Sotar?
Old 05-25-2017   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Tanks vs Racecars

w/r to Spanky. The tank is indestructible; the racecar fast and agile.
Old 05-25-2017   #9

My Maravia is heavier than my Sotar. It is 1.5 feet longer, 2" bigger tubes, has a 5 bay frame with floors, drybox, drop bags, etc.. My sotar is light because it has a minimalist frame that weighs 36 pounds.
If you are comparing equal size tubes the different will be minimal. The shapes all work, I really think the differences do not amount to much on the water. If you are getting a larger boat, the difference in weight will amount to nothing. If the tubes are different by 20 pounds, that might mean something on a stripped down boat, but if it is a loaded multi day boat it won't make ANY difference.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
I've been running cats for 22 years now, still using my welded Aire 16' that I got back in 95 as well as some newer tubes. Dont knock Aire, its quite durable and their cat tubes work much better with the inner tube principle than the rafts.

The Sotar is a little shorter than the maravia and has a little more kick. It's probably a little better at playing with lighter loads, and generally harder to flip.
The maravia still has some good kick, a full 16' tube and is obviously well made.

What will you do more of? playing and running light, or doing overnighters?
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote