Cat straps - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2019   #1

Ualapue' / High rockies, Colorado / Hawaii
Paddling Since: 1985
Cat straps

I have been rafting for a very long time however I have my first cat now. Always had a standard raft and have rowed cats a good bit over the years. Got the new one about a year ago. Its a Leopard 18. I love it.

I see a lot of videos of cats with ropes or straps trailing from the rear of the tubes and sometimes from the front and rear.

It seems like it is there to grab onto if you fall off. Looks like a hazard to me.

Whats up with trailing those straps ? Dangerous ? Safe ? Is that really needed ?

It looks unkempt and sort of goofy....

Sure would like to hear peoples thoughts on that.

1mauisurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
For me (personally)- I started rocking it after seeing other cat boats with them.

I like to use them to help land my boat or hold it while on shore, instead of trying to get between the tubes.

Other cat boats my have another reason, but that is the essential function that I use them for.
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019   #3

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I've always ran with short webbing off the front and back of Cat tubes. No hazard that I'm aware of and something to grab onto if you're in the water or shore.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019   #4

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I am a big fan of "tag" lines for cats. For me they serve both safety and convenience functions.

More often than not I am in my cat by myself so self-rescue is the name of the game. Tag lines provide multiple extended grab points should I find myself out of the boat. The same holds true if I am chasing down a swimmer. They can also sometimes provide a sufficient grab point for assisting with helping to get a stuck boat unstuck without having to pull out a rope.

As mentioned previously, they are convenient for holding on while on shore, landing by myself or with assistance and they provide an option for a quick tie off to another boat.

Mine are 6' long made out of flat webbing with a loop at one end for easy on off (think loop strap but without the second part with a buckle). Jan at Stitches N Stuff made these for me since I wanted a specific length and didn't need the extra strap with the buckle.

In my opinion, tag lines do not pose a hazard. I always use them regardless of the river and have never had them catch on anything. Maybe there is a chance of this, but for me the positives far outweigh any potential negatives.

Goofy? I don't know about that. I do know they sure come in handy.
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote