Cat frame straps - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-06-2015   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Cat frame straps

I need some cat frame strap rigging advice.

I have a 12.5 Legend and Dave is building my frame right now. Woo hoo! (BTW, great guy!!)

I'll be dropping by Tuff River in a few weeks and want to place a strap order. Is there any reason to go with loop straps over the regular cam straps?

Also, using a loaner frame it seemed like mostly 1.5' footers would work best with not much extra tag end showing?

Thx for help.

- Jon

duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
That's a tough one to answer, as it's kind of a personal preference/strapping style thing. The design of the frame and location of the D-rings drives the strap length for the most part. However, I never used loop straps to connect my frame to my cat. I always ended up with a pile of straps.....none of which were the perfect size 100% of the time.
Old 02-06-2015   #3

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
And there's your answer! If you don't want a random pile of straps to sort thru, order 8 loop straps from Tuff River Stuff (1.5" polyester) and label them from front to back. Just 4 straps per side- each one with a predetermined location that is cut to fit. Makes cat rigging a lot less if a chore.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015   #4

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I strongly prefer loop straps where I can use them. For one thing they stay attached to the boat and are much less likely to go for a swim. AND I can easily put the loops together and use it like a normal strap if that is what is needed. For semi-permanent tie downs, like tubes to frame, I use the standard cam strap. For things that get moved with daily rigging I prefer loops

I don't have much use for 1.5 ft straps on my rig, but each boat is different. When in doubt buy long and you can cut it to size or take a double wrap around the frame as needed.

Cats take an enormous number of straps. I use so many on my 15' AIRE Panther that I made an inventory... here is what I need for a 5-6 day trip.

length number description
1’-0” x6 tubes to lower rails
2’-0” x2 z-drag kit to front yoke
2’-0” x12 saddle bags, D rings to frame side rails
3’-0” x6 tubes to upper rails
3’-0” x2 front cooler to floor
3’-0” x2 front table sides to frame
3’-0” x2 big Action Packer to rear deck
4’-0” x6 rear table to frame
4’-0” x4 2 small Action Packers to frame
4’-0” x4 front deck hold downs
4’-0” x1 captn’s cooler hold down – over the top to cross rails
4’-0” x1 banyo hold down – side to side rear storage bay
4’-0” x1 dedicated to captn’s chair hold down
6’-0” x2 cooler lids, store with coolers
6’-0” x2 water jugs to front trex rails
7’-6” x2 water jugs to front rails
custom x2 @ 14" for ammo cans @ captain’s feet
custom x1 @ 11’ side to side over action packers
custom x1 @ 8-6’ front to back over big action packer – cross rails
custom x2 @ 4’ with extra D rings for front deck backrest

This is my third boat, so a lot of the straps were recycled from other frames. About half of these are loop straps and I am slowly converting the rest. The custom straps are ones that I cut to length or modified for a specific task.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
This is a helpful diagram that explains the advantage of going with loop straps for frame to tube attachment:

http://www.rowframe.com/cataraft/cataraftrigging.html

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Cam straps can be a serious investment. At an average cost of $5/each I have over $300 invested in the 'strap inventory'.

Some of my rafting buddies like to do it 'old school' and they rig with 5/8" tubular webbing, using knots. You can purchase 150' of mil spec tubular webbing for under $50. You only need two knots, the bowline and the trucker's hitch.

You could buy some webbing to rig the first time, cutting the webbing to length as needed. Then at the end of the trip you can measure the pieces and know exactly what size cam straps to purchase.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #7

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Another factor in deciding straps for the frame - do you always put your frame in the exact same spot? I have been known to shift my frame forward or back up to 6-8 inches pending on load, # of passengers, desired rowing position, and which water we're doing. If you go with a shorter strap, there may not be that wiggle room for adjusting frame position.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #8

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Also, did anyone else find the diagram of how to ride an inverted boat on the RowFrame.com link hilarious? ...with the title Elliptical Man on Cat Bu_tt Na_ked

I'm guessing it was drawn in AutoCAD or something which would explain why it's not anatomically correct. But the attention to detail in the buttcrack region cracks me up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	riding inverted.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	9294  
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
But the attention to detail in the buttcrack region cracks me up!
No pun intended, right
Old 02-06-2015   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Not to take $ away from Tuff River Stuff but we borrowed an industrial sowing machine last year and built/rebuilt 300' worth of straps for about $100. It was kind of fun and you could make things exactly how you see fit. Just a thought, if you have peeps with a good machine...

Based on research last year, if we didn't have access to the machine, I would have gotten all my straps from TRS however.

Lastly you can always cut them down, but you can't feasibly add length (other than doubling up)...