Cat Frame Sizing - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-10-2013   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Cat Frame Sizing

So, what frame width (oar and btwn tubes) would you throw on a 14 Ocelot with 9 oars? Looking for suggestions on frame specs for a cat boat. Typical runs for the boat would be multiday on MFS/ Selway and day runs on Piedra and Ark.

Cheers,
Cale

Rockgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013   #2

Searching for water....., Idaho
Frame Size

I would say 38 between the tubes and 72 between the oar locks. Make sure you can get what you want (cooler / drybox) between the drop bars on the frame. For length I think about 82 would be ideal.

The NRS sport cat frame sits well on the ocelot tubes so you can use that for general sizing.

You can go narrower but you loose the ability to carry some coolers and dry boxes.

The ocelot is a great sized and shaped tube for a variety of uses.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
I would say 38 between the tubes and 72 between the oar locks. Make sure you can get what you want (cooler / drybox) between the drop bars on the frame. For length I think about 82 would be ideal.

The NRS sport cat frame sits well on the ocelot tubes so you can use that for general sizing.

You can go narrower but you loose the ability to carry some coolers and dry boxes.

The ocelot is a great sized and shaped tube for a variety of uses.
I'd say 66 inches with 38 inches between the tubes . that's what I run with nine and a half foot oars. If the flows are low you are probably not going to want to bring anything more then a cooler and a dry box otherwise the draft is going to cause problems and you will wish you had larger diameter tubes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013   #4

Searching for water....., Idaho
Frame width

I think a 66" wide frame but that puts your oar locks at about 72" wide.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgizmo View Post
So, what frame width (oar and btwn tubes) would you throw on a 14 Ocelot with 9 oars? Looking for suggestions on frame specs for a cat boat. Typical runs for the boat would be multiday on MFS/ Selway and day runs on Piedra and Ark.

Cheers,
Cale
Wide enough to fit your drybox, cooler or other appurtenance already purchased. No sense in creating redundant gear.
Old 12-11-2013   #6

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I had a 14 X 22 Maravia cat for a few years. Same dimensions as the Ocelot. I used a 66 inch NRS cataraft yoke frame. The max flat area on my tubes was 96 inches, so that's how long my frame was. The drop on an NRS yoke frame is 11.5 inches. I found that this frame didn't fit the 14X22 tubes as well I as I liked. With the 11.5 drop, it put the lower rails too close to the lower d-rings on the tubes, and the frame clearance wasn't great, even when moderately loaded. When I switched to 14 X 24 tubes the frame fit great. If you want to go NRS, I'd look at the universal drop rail frame (10 inch drop) or the sport cat frame (6 inch drop). With a 66 inch wide frame I had to get custom sized dry boxes, and had to do some hunting for the right size cooler to fit. I knew these things going in, and still wanted a narrower frame. With 96 inches of frame length I was able to carry a cooler, a 16 dry box, and a 14 dry box. If you go wider with your frame, you may want longer oars?

Here are some pictures to show the difference in tube size with the NRS cat frame. Red cat is 14X22, Teal cat is 14X24.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #7

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Cat frame width and Yoke height

While it is true that the NRSfolks retail frame gear, there is an infinite array of gear that has far greater value.... and is made in the USA. Google "cataraft yokes" and "cataraft frame..... parts". Many of the manufacturers have multiple frame height solutions as well as advice.
Shameless self promotion