Carlisle blades wiggly - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2019   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Carlisle blades wiggly

I got some Carlisle sticks as part of my poor boy boat package, the blades are a little more wiggly then I'd like. Has anyone experimented with wrapping the blade shafts in electrical tape or heat shrink etc to help snug things up?

Yes I know I can buy a nicer setup and one day I hope to but for now I'm living with aluminum with or without slop.

Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019   #2

Denver, Colorado
Maybe try an aluminum can wrap as a shim. I’ve used them on bikes and such and they’re great. I suspect that would work great and is very adjustable.
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Yes, I've used hockey tape. Electrical tape would work fine.

Also like the aluminum can idea

Shrink wrap is probably too thick.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
The aluminum can shim is a good idea if you can get them in, which I doubt. Doesn't take much extra space to add a wobble. The metal takes a lot of space even though it's thin. Same with tape. Might just try a couple of self-tapping screws. I had an old pair that had oval button holes and just ended up epoxying them in. Getto solution but it works until you break a blade) but hey we're talking Carlisles
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
You might try Reflectix Foil Tape. It is about .0035 of an inch and if that is a little too thick just go 1/2 way around the shaft. It would also stick and not slide around. If it does not work you can make some reflectix cozies with the leftover tape. I have a set of Carlisle oars and blades for my fishing dory I've rowed with for 31 years. They are not the best , but they get the job done
Old 03-26-2019   #6

Durango, Colorado
Thanks everyone, I'll play with these and see what I figure out.

Scott, I was thinking the same thing after the aluminum can suggestions, I think foil tape is less prone to gooing making the blade difficult to move.
Old 03-31-2019   #7

Durango, Colorado
I did two wraps of foil tape on the inside end of the oar shaft and one wrap on the end near the button, it took the wiggle away! In my test fits the tape started to scrape off where things are tightest so I'm not sure how long this will last but it's a good temp fix at a minimum, I'll leave my blades on as much as possible and I think this should last awhile.
Old 04-01-2019   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I wouldn't worry about goo or the tape scraping off....where's it going to go?
If you don't insert/remove your blades frequently, it's there until you remove it. Glad you checked in with your results.

Buddy of mine has Cataract shafts with a 1ft Carlisle extension. We used a strip of hockey tape to take out the wiggle. Glad it worked for you.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote