Carlisle blades bending - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2017   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Carlisle blades bending

I'm using Carlisle shafts and blades on my rafts, and I've noticed that this year alone I've bent 3 blades fairly significantly simply with the force of my rowing. I'm talking about just a strong pull in fast moving water, or catching a blade in a wave. The oars are still in my hands and I end up with bent blades; I know that I am not that strong.

The blades were probably 8 years old, and had been only used sparingly for most of that time. Is this typical of the Carlisle blades? I know that they are cheap for a reason. But I don't really like the feel of bent blades and I can't afford new ones every time I need to make a strong move!

Anyone else had this issue? FWIW, the newer Carlisle blades I got to replace the bent ones have held up ok in the same conditions.

At some point I'll upgrade to better quality oars, but that is still a ways away from my next purchase priority. So, while I appreciate the ongoing discussion and dissection of the crappy quality of Carlisle oars/blades, I'd like to really know if you guys have had problems with bending blades, and if so, what did you do about it?

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
If the problem persists, buy cataract blades for your next purchase. The cataract blades will pop right into the Carlisle shafts.

Is the wide plastic part of blade bending? Or is it bending right near the shaft (a common issue)??
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #3

Salem, Oregon
yes, it is bending right at the joining of the blade to the shaft.
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017   #4

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't use Carlisle oars personally. But I have seen other people with oars bent right at the shaft/blade junction. I think one raft in our party on the grand had a Carlisle oar blade completely fail. I think he rotated the bent blade 180 degrees to bend it back, which helped lead to failure.

I have had about 4 or 5 Carlisle guide paddles bend at the shaft/blade junction and eventually break off completely . There was definitely a year or two where Carlisle was using cheaper/weaker aluminum inner shaft material.
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #5

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I rowed with Carlisle oars for years (20-ish) and once I added up how much money I spent replacing them I could have owned 2 sets of Cataracts. Hindsight.... Anyway, I mainly bent shafts but I have bent a blade or two right where the shafts went into the oar. I usually just flipped it over and rowed back the other way until it straightened out or wedged it between a couple trees. Never had a blade completely fail though

My 'best' bent oar was when I was first learning to row in a 14' bucket and I caught my downstream oar. Rather than let it go, I hung on for dear life for some reason. Put a 45 degree angle on her right at the sleeve.

Oh, and like Dutch said. Just upgrade the blade to cataract next time. They're are only $10-$15 dollars more per blade.
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017   #6

Salem, Oregon
Sounds like an easy solution. Upgrade the blades first, then the shafts. Thanks guys!

Tags
blade, carlisle