Captain's Chair Worth It? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2015   #1

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Captain's Chair Worth It?

I just bought a boat and am deciding on whether or not it is worth the ~$300 to drop on a captain's chair. I'm kind of leaning on being cheap, as I've never rowed in a captain's chair or on a padded drybox. I've only been on my buddies low back seat in his rig. Thoughts?

tbduwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you plan on multi days with that frame, save your dough,you can strap your paco pad on your cooler and sit on that, strap the dry bag that has your sleeping bag in it right behind you, for a back rest. Super comfy, and you can put the $300 towards more river trips!
Old 05-26-2015   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
If you plan on multi days with that frame, save your dough,you can strap your paco pad on your cooler and sit on that, strap the dry bag that has your sleeping bag in it right behind you, for a back rest. Super comfy, and you can put the $300 towards more river trips!
This. +1
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Are you refering to the NRS highback seat?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #5

Cheyenne, Wyoming
The DRE captain's chair.

Product Page | Down River Equipment Company
tbduwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #6
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I bought one in 1998 in conjunction with my new cat frame from DRE. It was very good. I was disappointed when I had to replace the cover maybe 5 or 6 years later due to stretching (mainly) and tearing ( just a little). When it was new, I'm pretty sure the price was +/- $100. I'm also pretty sure that the replacement cover 5-6 years later was only $39 or so. At those prices they were great. At 3 Bills for the seat and $65 for a replacement cover, I think I'd be happy with a tractor seat. I don't want to to discourage anyone from buying a well made, local product, I just think maybe it should be considered a luxury product, with all the associated problems.

Peace,
Capt.
Old 05-26-2015   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post

Here's my high back seat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1432703012.962028.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	9967

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #8
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I don't have a seat, just foam on my box. I like it. I have kids, they like to sit next to me and row. I'd like to be able to "lock in" with a seat for bigger drops, but honestly I don't run enough big drops to make it worth my while.
Old 05-26-2015   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Agreed that you can rig a more than adequate rowing seat without a $300 chair. I have them and appreciate them, but there are many other more important factors in a comfortable rowing station. They do have the added bonus of a very nice low rider beach chair.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
Agreed that you can rig a more than adequate rowing seat without a $300 chair. I have them and appreciate them, but there are many other more important factors in a comfortable rowing station. They do have the added bonus of a very nice low rider beach chair.
Thats a plus for them, they can double as a camp chair, my budies is comfortable at camp.
I've been preaty happy running bigger rapids with cooler for seat, as long as you have a solid foot brace. I have a plywood floor under cooler and dry box, nuthin moves, there is a good post you can search on that topic as well, definately nice extras to multi day set up.
If i am really wailing on oars i am usualy standing anyway.

Have fun with new boat!