Can I Save Money DIYing Oars ?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Elkins, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Can I Save Money DIYing Oars ??

Hi all,

My oar rig for my 12' RMR is almost ready for the river, and as I'm getting closer to ordering oars (7.5 footers is what I think I will need for these WV rivers) I have been wondering if I could save some cash building vs buying.

I've priced two of the Carlisle 7.5 footers to my door with blades right @ $300. Now being the frugal, DIYer right out of college with a lump of debut over my head that I am, I was wondering if I could make 3 oars for less than that price. These seems to be some good threads on here as well as some resources online.

I know the DIY game can turn into a hole and you end up spending more than if you were to just go out and buy the product. I wouldn't count in my time towards cost, as it would be a labor of love.

Thanks in advance for any words from the wise.

Spencerzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
MT4runner taught me how to build oars, the end product was much sweeter, way lighter, and IMHO as well if not better built than what I could have bought.

Taking into account my trip to Kalispell to see the process, and help in person, ya, I've got more into them than I could have bought a lesser one for, but at the end of the day, I don't think I'd EVER go back to buying oars now that I've got the skillset to make em, or at least make a solid attempt at it.

One question, 7.5 foot oars on a 12 foot boat ? I know you're in the east, but that seems WAY short, I'd think more like a 8.5 or 9 footer minimum, especially should you have weight in the boat

My 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oars 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	41521   Click image for larger version

Name:	oars4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	41523  

Name:	oars11.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	41525  
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Salida, Colorado
Dumbass me, I missed a photo of the finished product...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oars10.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	926.6 KB
ID:	41527  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

If you want aluminum like carlilse I see no reason you can't quick and easy DIY. Get some 6061 1-7/8 x .0125 tubing. Drill a hole for the blade button, heat shrink like others are doing to rehab their old oars, and add a handle. You could buy a handle or make one.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Elkins, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
MT4runner taught me how to build oars, the end product was much sweeter, way lighter, and IMHO as well if not better built than what I could have bought.

Taking into account my trip to Kalispell to see the process, and help in person, ya, I've got more into them than I could have bought a lesser one for, but at the end of the day, I don't think I'd EVER go back to buying oars now that I've got the skillset to make em, or at least make a solid attempt at it.

One question, 7.5 foot oars on a 12 foot boat ? I know you're in the east, but that seems WAY short, I'd think more like a 8.5 or 9 footer minimum, especially should you have weight in the boat

My 2
Those are some beautiful oars ya got there, I don't think Id be making anything that flashy. If I were to dive into this project I would sure be drilling you and MT4runner with questions.

From a materials stand point I assume there wouldn't be much more than some straight grain lumber of a stronger species, some fiberglass and some epoxy, is that about it?

I'm confident in sourcing the lumber cheap as I live in the National Forest and have dozens of mills around me. What species are the best for oar building.

As for he 7.5ft oar comment, I thought I did my quick math right for my frame width, but who knows. I will have to look into that more, thanks for the suggestion
Spencerzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Beautiful work MNichols. Doing that is on my someday bucket list.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerzzz View Post
As for he 7.5ft oar comment, I thought I did my quick math right for my frame width, but who knows. I will have to look into that more, thanks for the suggestion
I'm with Marshall on this, 7.5 seems really short unless you're rowing something like a Mini-me or a Storm.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
If you want aluminum like carlilse I see no reason you can't quick and easy DIY. Get some 6061 1-7/8 x .0125 tubing. Drill a hole for the blade button, heat shrink like others are doing to rehab their old oars, and add a handle. You could buy a handle or make one.
This will work, they are strong and reliable, that heat shrink would fit the bill nicely too, but you really wouldn't have to. I would go 8 1/2 to 9 foot on oar length, you can always cut them shorter with the aluminum tubing....
Also very nice work on those oars MNichols, I have not seen finer work.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Those are beautiful oars.

Spencer, I wished you live closer. I'd sell you some Carlisle oars and Sawyer oar locks cheap.
GeoRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerzzz View Post
Those are some beautiful oars ya got there, I don't think Id be making anything that flashy. If I were to dive into this project I would sure be drilling you and MT4runner with questions.

From a materials stand point I assume there wouldn't be much more than some straight grain lumber of a stronger species, some fiberglass and some epoxy, is that about it?

I'm confident in sourcing the lumber cheap as I live in the National Forest and have dozens of mills around me. What species are the best for oar building.

Thank you all for the nice words and comments, I am quite proud of them, but MT4runner deserves the bulk of the praise, I followed his lead on this.

You basically have 2 common woods, Ash and Fir. Mine are fir. Some folks use both laminated together, it's about the flexion of the shaft more than anything, to me anyway.

Funny thing, it's as easy to put some accents into them, as leave it out. Granted the hard maple on the square tops was nothing other than "flash", it was simple to do, and doesn't cost a lot to make them stand out.

What you don't see is in the square tops, there's a hunk of 3/4 rebar which was put in before the shaft sections were laminated for a little extra weight, at 11'6" long, I wanted to make sure the handles were not too heavy for my aging muscles and joints.

A little epoxy, we used US composites, a little wood, a LOT of elbow grease, and most important, patience is all you need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rebar.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	41539