Camping Cot - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-13-2019   #1

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Camping Cot

I'm trying to decide on what cot to buy. I'm looking at Go Kot, but really hate the price.

https://campingcot.com/home

Looking for easy/fast set up, comfort, light weight and packs small. In that order of importance.
It would be nice if it could be set up while in a small tent out of rain and mud.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a great camping cot.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
https://www.camptime.com/

https://www.helinox.com.au/camp-stretchers/cot-one

first one is the bomber cot made in America last forever, mine was purchased some where in mid 90's used a ton and still like new except for a few scratches on the legs. the roll a cot is the bomb on Grand Canyon trips as it gets you up off the sand away from a lot of the crawlie critters and on hot nights I sleep close to the water and some height for rising tides.

Second one is the quality cot I now use when camping in small tents
Made in Australia sold here by big agnes I believe

Several copies of the helinox on the market that my guess is will not last like the helinox units. my helinox cot and sunset chair go on a lot of canoe trips and light weight raft trips. The helinox is just as comfy as the camptime, just lower to the ground.

with all broken bones (healed but not in the line up originally as the Great Spirit intended) the camp time AKA roll a cot is much easier to get up from than the helinox. But the helinox works in a back packing tent.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #3

X2 for the Roll-A-Cot. Added bonus of drying fast.
HitMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Follow up on both cots.

Experiment at home to find out the best way to assemble these cots. Roll A Cot has a really good video.

Helinox has a print out and there are videos. Helinox goes together pretty fast but is not as easy as the Roll A Cot. I did not read the instructions first but after doing my thing did go back to read. Now my helinox goes together fast. Disassembly of the helinox is another thing. The helinox has a really good locking system. There is a key to unlocking the legs from the rail sections and for me, it took the helinox instructions to really get the technique down. Now, I can unlock the helinox fast. The helinox can be put together in a backpacking tent. One person size tents are really too small based on my experience, two person backpacking style tents the process is much easier. My experience is to do the assembly or take down outside the tent.

Recently I see several helinox copy cats for sale, a lot cheaper than helinox. I distrust these copy cats. They look similar to the real deal, but my bet is the durability is not there.

Probably more than anyone wants to know. Both cots have made my camp trips a ton more comfortable.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #5

Bummed that Big Agnes stopped carrying Helinox. Definitely wanted to pick up a cot, but they were always out of stock on the tall person model.
BGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #6
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
As a family, we have both styles. I see the advantage of the "backpacking friendly" cot but when backpacking I use my 4" BA inflatable pad so there really isn't a need for the cot.

On the river I have my big dude roll-a-cot paired up with a Jack's Silverback pad and I will never go back to anything else. It's really nice to be up off the ground and swing your legs around like a regular bed in the mornings, especially when you spent the previous day combat rowing into hellacious winds while everyone else lounged around

I got mine as a scratch and dent directly from the camp-time website and saved a ton of money.
https://www.camptime.com/collections...ished-bargains

They have all three sizes for sale right now in the blemished section.
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #7

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Take a look at the REI cot. It's only $80 and with their regular 20% coupon, you can get it for $64. It's steel, not aluminum so it weighs about 7 lbs more than roll-a-cot and it does not dry as fast. However, in terms of setup time, nothing sets up as fast. I can set this up in 30 seconds if need be. Had mine for 5 years and despite a tiny bit of rust in a couple of spots, still in great shape. It's taller than camptime is as well - that can be both good and bad. I can store tons of stuff underneath it, but if your tent is low, that could pose issues.

https://www.rei.com/product/828505/r...mp-folding-cot
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I bought one of these on sale @ REI and can return if not happy.

https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite

$150 and under 3#'s. I sleep in a two
man tent that is not tall, only 44", which limits some of the choices.
I will report back rather happy or not.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 01-14-2019   #9

Cascadia, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I have one of the Go-Kot style cots. They're great when weight and bulk are an issue. But the way that the legs turn inward, they can be tippy. Get the Roll a Cot. They're pretty nice and relatively light weight for a full size/full height cot.
speyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Bighorn:

Good choice. If you use a backpacking tent it is hard to estimate the tent dimensions at the height off the floor the tent will be. I have heard that the Roll A Cot is the best all around, including consideration for price, but is high enough off the ground that your tent's tapered ends or sides might mean it won;t fit. I have a huge, 10 year old REI cot that they don't make anymore and it only fits in my 4 person tent.

Enjoy.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote