Camping Cot - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2019   #21

Mesa, Arizona
I just purchased the Cabelas XL cot and spent a couple of nights on it at home for testing purposes. I have the Aire Landing Pad on it as well. It is comfortable, roomy and folds up relatively compact. Purchased it on Ebay for $64 shipped, which is about half off. April will be my first Grand trip without the wife so I won't need a tent unless there is bad weather so I thought I would splurge and sleep comfortably. I also purchased the Teton cot organizer that hangs off the side and holds my glasses, a mug, headlamp and the other items I need to keep off the ground and close by. Hope you find what you are looking for. Have a great trip!
RichH

RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019   #22

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
This thread is pretty much in dead horse-beating territory, but I have to agree on the roll-a-cot for anything other than a pack trip. I purchased a pair of the Longhorn roll-a-cots with the sleeping pad sleeve and included sleeping pad last year, and after a couple nights on them, sold my AIRE landing pads because they were heavy, bulky, and superfluous.

Also - MNichols, you're obviously confused about the difference between wood and aluminum, or you're confusing one brand for another. Camptime doesn't make anything out of wood.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019   #23

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
Roll-a-cots are not made of wood and they do not rot.

Well, I have 2 that have wooden dowels that an aluminum sleeve slides over to make the 2 halves a whole, and it did rot, and subsequently break....

If my word isn't enough, I'd be happy to take a photo and post it......

Perhaps they saw this flaw, and changed the design. I use them in the wall tent on hunting trips now exclusively, they are indeed most comfy, especially with a pad on top, but even without they are just dandy after a day of searching for the elusive, and quite tasty wapati...
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019   #24

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
My bad then. Never seen one, but I’d have to assume that any with wood dowels are rare? I bought my first one back in 1994 and perhaps yours are older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
Roll-a-cots are not made of wood and they do not rot.

Well, I have 2 that have wooden dowels that an aluminum sleeve slides over to make the 2 halves a whole, and it did rot, and subsequently break....

If my word isn't enough, I'd be happy to take a photo and post it......

Perhaps they saw this flaw, and changed the design. I use them in the wall tent on hunting trips now exclusively, they are indeed most comfy, especially with a pad on top, but even without they are just dandy after a day of searching for the elusive, and quite tasty wapati...
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019   #25

Jenks, Oklahoma
Back to the Helinox cot lite problem I had.

The video is really nice to watch but I have to agree with Bighorn in that Auzzie Ladies are really strong. No way can I assemble my cot lite like she does.

I ended up emailing Bighorn and he shared his dis assembly tips with me. I put the cot on edge and pushed in with body weight just below the flat part of the leg assembly and was able to pop the legs off. I had been pushing on the flat part at the top of the leg assembly and that does not work for take apart.

Thanks to Bighorn the cot lite is going to stay in my kit and hopefully I can look forward to good nights rest on it and dis assemble it easier each morning.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019   #26

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I have both roll-a-cots and the low travelchair sleep rite cots. I got the lower sleep rites for fitting inside my smaller tents, but in general much prefer the higher roll a cots for the reasons others have mentioned.

I really like them for sleeping on the boat, both side by side under the bimini top with my honey and solo with a Thermarest single tent cot that actually mounts on the cot itself. The solo tent also works for traditional ground mounting on either cot, with my dry bag under the cot/tent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon 2016 546.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	989.3 KB
ID:	32901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cot Tent.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	32905  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture Krista.PNG
Views:	96
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	32907  
Old 01-23-2019   #27

SLC, Utah
I'm curious. For those of you putting cots in tents, how do they affect the floor of the tent? I would be worried that it would wear holes in the floor.
blueotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019   #28

I was worried about this as well but haven't had any issues. The roll-a-cot legs are about an inch in diameter, maybe more, with a plastic or rubber stopper on the bottom. I think under the right circumstances it could wear a hole, but under normal use it's been fine for 2 seasons. I bought some of the plastic disc floor protectors for furniture legs, about 4 inches in diameter, thinking that would help distribute the weight. They are a bit of a hassle and the cot will jump off of them easier than I'd like, so I haven't ended up using them much, although I'm sure they would alleviate any potential problems fairly well if I was just dedicated enough to use them all the time. As a caveat, I mostly use the cots with a middle of the line Coleman with a tarp style floor, rather than a fancy backpacking tent or similar. So the floor is more durable to begin with and the tent isn't super expensive, which means I don't really have much anxiety over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueotter View Post
I'm curious. For those of you putting cots in tents, how do they affect the floor of the tent? I would be worried that it would wear holes in the floor.
protechie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019   #29

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
When I have the big six man tent I've put the cot inside with legs on the discs that are made for sliding couches/tables on wood floors. Alternatively tennis balls with a slit in them over the legs works as well. For a smaller tent and two cots, I saw an idea somewhere on here to set the tent up on top of the cots and then Paco pads on the inside.
heyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019   #30

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
I've definitely worried about this as well with my Roll a Cot and have a few small holes in my tent from it. I bring some flat planks of wood with a divot drilled in the top (to keep the legs on the wood more easily) now and it works great. Its great for sandy beaches without a tent too...keeps it from sinking. I've slept in the tent with a cot for around 100 days so far (using the wood planks) and no real signs of wearing through. Definitely couldn't say the same if I didn't use them.

I have a Marmot Limelight 3p and it works great for a roll a cot. When I sit on the cot, the top of my head is just clear of the roof of the tent. It has ~18" straight sides on it before curving in, so it works perfect with the cot. I have a few inches on each end of the Cot as well...and could definitely fit the extra long version in it. I've been really happy with the tent, but a few people I recommended it to have not loved it as much as I do.

I've definitely considered calling Camp Time and asking for a new pair of legs for it and cutting a few inches out of them to get a bit more room. I guess I could make my own too. I've seen a few guys who made their own adjustable legs too, which would be sweet. As it stands though...the Cot is more important to me then which tent I use, so I just make sure to purchase a tent that works with the Roll a Cot as it is.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote