Camping Cot - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-17-2019   #11

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Roll a cots are nice, but they are made of wood, and wood rots when wet, which I found out on day 2 of a Deso trip.

Bought one of these
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$50 bucks, easy to set up, very comfortable and packs small. Built like a brick s%^&*house, bomber sturdy, the caveat being that you need to place it on a reasonably hard surface, as like any cot it'll sink in the sand. Not as bad as a roll a cot, but still. The polyester fabric drys fast too.

I bought one of these
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh so comfortable on top of anything, I carry Paco Pads, nice thick ones, and still take this, rolls up to a 3inch x 6 inch roll so takes up no room at all. Is likely more comfortable than your bed at home..

MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019   #12

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Roll-a-cots are not made of wood and they do not rot. I have one I bought in the mid 90’s that is still going on rivers as a loaner. Last year I purchased the wide version for my Exped Mega Mat—pretty plush and it fits in my 3-person tent very well if it rains. I prefer not sleeping in tents, but that’s another story.

Air mats tend to slid a bit to one side because the cot sags slightly, my solution will be to attach a couple of strips of 3m Velcro to both the cot and the pad—that’s my only pet peeve.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019   #13

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1997
Avoid Moon Lence!

Well, here's one you can drop off the list: Moon Lence Camping Cot. Got three for a GC trip. Bought three for a GC trip. If you're checking Amazon, read the 1-star reviews, one of which is mine. These things would not stay upright in any lose ground (e.g., sand) or any ground with any sort of incline whatsoever. Out of our 18 nights (some of which I spent on the boat, in all fairness--but that meant carrying my table up and down twice per day), I spent maybe two nights off the ground. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Albuquerque Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019   #14

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Get a Roll-A-Cot. THEY ARE MADE OF ALUMINUM. No wood is used in the construction of a roll-a-cot. I have 3 and they don’t rot or rust. I recommend the mesh version over the cordura version with the pocket for your sleeping pad. Sand falls through the mesh, mesh dries quickly when wet, and the pocket is a useless gimmick.

I used to be dead set against cots. But thanks to the Buzz I saw the light about cots. The big reason for the change of heart is cots allow you to sleep in places you can’t with a sleeping pad. On rivers, it seems like there are limited flat spots to set up a tent and sleeping pad. I have slept without a tent or under my tarp many times on rocky ground, or sloping ground thanks to my cot. On rocks, the cot puts you above them. On a slope, by putting 2 rocks under the downhill legs, you can level the cot. The key to all of this is a cot with 4 contact points to the ground. More than 4 and the chore of leveling the cot with rocks under the legs on a slope or rocky ground becomes quite tedious.

One of the other big benefits of cots is shoving your stuff underneath them and out of the way. Once again the roll-a-cot is ideal because it only has 2 leg assemblies and is tall, making it easy to store gear underneath it.

I don’t know what your intended use is. You posted on a rafting board, so I’m assuming you’re planning on using them for rivers. A lot of of the cots I’ve seen listed above are going to be great for car camping. Some are better than others, but none are as good as the roll-a-cot. Many are too low to the ground. All of the ones I saw listed had 6 or more contact points to the ground. There is a reason everyone on here has the Roll-a-Cot.

Cots and backpacking tents don’t mix. Just sleep on your pad. If you’re backpacking and carrying a cot, ditch it. Your back and shoulders will thank you. If you’re car camping, get a big tent that fits your cot. Or a dragonfly tarp like the one in my pic.

In the attached pics I’ve got the cots set up on rocky ground. On the pic with the tarp, we are camping on a pretty good slope. I put some flat rocks under the down hill legs of the cot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D88BD5C5-7789-44F3-8751-C0CBFD5042E3_1547839646568.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	32851   Click image for larger version

Name:	64BC8F4B-41AE-4A34-A0C4-7370F46B55DB_1547839661113.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	32853  

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019   #15

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Also, you can sleep on the boat with your cot. Once again, minimal contact points to the ground is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1BB0073-6D01-424B-BA9B-C2C10C8BB30D_1547840089518.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	32855  
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019   #16

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I'm reporting on how my new cot works and how it feels. It is light as a feather, 2lb 9.6oz, comfortable and very narrow. I'm 5'10' and 196 #'s. It fits and supports me very nicely. Although I bought mainly for rafting/car camping. Any hike under 5 miles I would probably take it with a really light air pad. One not insulated for warm conditions or one insulated for cold weather. The extra 4# for cot and pad is worth it IMHO. For rafting I wanted to get of the ground without adding a lot of weight or cubic inches to raft ( it works great ). The three downsides are, not as easy to set up as a folding or roll cot, but the first time only took me 3 minutes with all my head scratching. Takes a fair amount of muscle (a little more than my 90# wife has). It is narrow 24", but for more money they sell a bigger one. This one fits my budget and pads I already own. With a Sea 2 Sumit cool max large fitted sheet it is a sweet set up that will not cause you sweat all night. It is comfortable enough with no pad but I'm a side sleeper so a pad does help me a lot. The legs are very stable, no rocking, no noise. I'd buy again. I got a low cot since I like to sleep in a small light weight tent and want to still be able to sit up when on it.

https://www.rei.com/product/889599/helinox-cot-lite
Old 01-19-2019   #17

Jenks, Oklahoma
For information:

I have had the helinox cot one since they came out and very happy with it.
When Bighorn posted the REI sale link for a lighter version called Cot lite on sale (being a gear fan I bit and sent in the money)

got the cot lite and like it a lot. Only problem is disassembly. I have a fixture in my spine and maybe that made it harder, but I could not pop out the leg assemblies in my living room. left the cot in the garage and will hopefully find a best way to take the legs apart.

bottom line for me is the cot lite is not a bad deal. but for creeky beat up boaters like me, be sure you can take the cot lite apart before buying. The original cot one tho assembles and takes apart much easier due to I think the handles on the leg assemblies and may be a better option for boaters like me.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019   #18

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Another vote for the Roll-a-cot. The highlights in my book are:

- Not having to immediately join the hunt for a sleeping zone before everyone else gets all the good flat spots when good sites are limited.
- I can create a level & flat sleeping spot practically anywhere.
- Cooler sleeping on hot weather trips.
- I like that my feet can hang off the end of the cot while sleeping (personal preference)
- The "silly" little pocket is handy for storing, and finding in the night, random items such as lip shit, headlamp, water bottle, etc
- it can also serve as bench seating for kids in camp
- the mesh is quick drying even if you forget to set it up until after dark
- I can sleep on my boat with no special decking required
- the extra weight is more than offset by the excellent outdoor sleeping

Downsides:
- Yet another piece of gear to load/unload at each camp
- dealing with the envy from discontented ground sleepers
Bigwaterforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019   #19

Keystone, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I have a Helinox cot lite and it works well for me. For those of you having trouble disassembling the cot maybe the following video will help: I don't have much strength and I have no trouble with the cot but I always place it on it's side for both assembly and disassembly. It seems you have more leverage with the rest of your body that way. One thing to be careful of is to make sure the joints that form the feet are inserted properly as I have broken a couple of these. Helinox did send me a replacement both times but at least if one breaks you can still make it work with 3 instead of 4.
didee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019   #20

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee99 View Post
I have a Helinox cot lite and it works well for me. For those of you having trouble disassembling the cot maybe the following video will help: I don't have much strength and I have no trouble with the cot but I always place it on it's side for both assembly and disassembly. It seems you have more leverage with the rest of your body that way. One thing to be careful of is to make sure the joints that form the feet are inserted properly as I have broken a couple of these. Helinox did send me a replacement both times but at least if one breaks you can still make it work with 3 instead of 4.

Great video of one of the worlds strongest women. Just kidding a little, but not as easy as she makes it look when it is new and not stretched out.