Camp Chef stove regulator failure - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2017   #1

Eastside, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Camp Chef stove regulator failure

All,
Have an Everest Camp Chef 2 burner. Worked well until this weekend. Now when hooked up, propane will just vent out of the hole in the black plastic pat of the regulator. Its even dangerous in this condition, I would think (good thing I don't smoke). It seems the regulator has failed.
Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't get blown up this weekend......

I contacted Camp Chef. They said I had to buy another one because it is out of warranty ($20). Seems like a product design problem.

What would you do?

Koffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffler View Post
All,
Have an Everest Camp Chef 2 burner. Worked well until this weekend. Now when hooked up, propane will just vent out of the hole in the black plastic pat of the regulator. Its even dangerous in this condition, I would think (good thing I don't smoke). It seems the regulator has failed.
Sheesh, I'm glad I didn't get blown up this weekend......

I contacted Camp Chef. They said I had to buy another one because it is out of warranty ($20). Seems like a product design problem.

What would you do?
I've already done it - replace the regulator with a hosed one (instead of rigid brass) from Stansport. I haven't actually tried the new regulator but numerous people online said they used the Stansport part on camp chef stoves... It was also about $20 and will be easier to set up then the original one.
Old 09-20-2017   #3
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
So this is the part that failed...

https://www.campchef.com/replacement...regulator.html

Brian - And you get one from Stansport that is better? Seems like I should have a backup.....
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017   #4

Belgrade, Montana
So I don't know if it actually failed or it's just hyper sensitive to pressure changes. One of the last posters on the other thread mentioned it could be the leak prevention system in the newer style hoses too. I hadn't actually thought through all the possible scenarios but last year I bought a splitter for two of the newer style of connectors. Thinking back that's about when I started having the Everest die out. I honestly hadn't really put 2 and 2 together but in hind sight I might have been bouncing between my old internal hose connector (which worked fine?) and the new plastic one (which didn't?). It's entirely possible that is what it is because when I tried disconnecting the whole system most recently I would get good flow for a second then it would die down. In this last case I know I was using the newer style hose and really wish I would have thought to switch out to my older hose... anyways all I know is that I decided to buy a hose type connector because I always hated the rigid style and It'll either fix the bad regulator or I'll start running through my hoses and see if that isn't it.

So long story short I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I will bring all my hoses until I figure it out...

I will try the Stansport hose tonight on my stove and leave it burning for an hour our so to make sure I don't get a repeat of the problem... I'll report back. I need to clean my garage anyways so I can run the stove outside while I organize chaos.
Old 09-20-2017   #5

Belgrade, Montana
but yes that was the part that failed...if it indeed failed and isn't OE/connection issues...This has been a good exercise for me - now I can do some experimentation if I can only get camping again
Old 09-21-2017   #6

Belgrade, Montana
I did not get a chance last night to work on the regulator/hose issue. I should be able to tonight....
Old 09-21-2017   #7

Awesome, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I did not get a chance last night to work on the regulator/hose issue. I should be able to tonight....
Thanks elkhaven. I have been looking for a replacement regulator for my Everest stove as well, so interested to see if this hose works well.
climbbd510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017   #8

Belgrade, Montana
So I did a lot of experimenting last night (not so much garage cleaning) and figured a few things out.

First my Camp Chef regulator is fine. The problem with that set up was my hose. I don't know if it's clogged or if the connector has a check valve that's stuck or what but it was the large plastic connector that threads over the tank valve. I had read a few years ago that they can go bad fairly easily but I'm not sure how exactly. It acts exactly like the excess flow check valve is tripping, but I thought that was in the tank... At any rate my old school all brass fittings that thread into the tank valve still work like a charm. I tried 2 different tanks, a little green bottle and about 6 different hoses. The one hose didn't work in any combination (hot flame for a few seconds then a trickle). I tried slowly opening the tank as well.

Second; the Stansport replacement regulator with a hose works great. I put it on, pressured it up and soaped up all the connections just to be sure it didn't "almost" fit and saw no leaks. So I fired her up and all worked fine. Boiled some water and ran both burners full on for about an hour and had no issues... I definitely like it better than the hard plumbed regulator that came with the stove. The new one is easier to thread into the stove and easier to connect my extension hose to. It'll become my primary and the original one will be relegated to living in the repair kit.

In the end, since there is no way to jury-rig the type of connection these stoves use it's probably a good idea to have a spare regulator. I'm happy I do no for sure, even though it wasn't my problem...

That's all I know for now!

Have a great trip Jerry! I wish I was going along!!!
Old 09-22-2017   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
I've been using those stansport hoses on a pair of Camp Chef Everests for the last year or two. I like them better for ease of setup than the rigid ones but they tend to fail about as much in my experience. It's frustrating how poor the quality of that size/type of regulator tends to be.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1987
is there any way to set up the hose to have a regular sized regulator near the tank, and the smaller stove fitting? instead of a 2 part set up?
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote