cam strap ends - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-10-2013   #1
windknot2

Hotchkiss, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
cam strap ends

I have a couple of cam straps on which the ends have become frayed. In addition to being cut on an angle, new straps seem to have had some kind of glue or something applied to the last 1 inch or so to help keep this from happening. I plan to cut off the damaged ends and was wondering if anyone knows what is usually used to treat the straps. Thanks for any advice.
Windknot2

windknot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013   #2

Hi,

I use a flattened tip on a soldering iron to cut new angles, and then take a sideways swipe on each side, to thin the edge a bit and improve the way the tip goes into the buckle.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by windknot2 View Post
I have a couple of cam straps on which the ends have become frayed. In addition to being cut on an angle, new straps seem to have had some kind of glue or something applied to the last 1 inch or so to help keep this from happening. I plan to cut off the damaged ends and was wondering if anyone knows what is usually used to treat the straps. Thanks for any advice.
Windknot2
Straps are usually cut with a hot wire although you probably don't have access to that type of equipment. You can just use a lighter to basically cauterize the end of the cut and keep it from fraying. I think some people also use there ski wax iron in order to basically flatten the end of the strap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013   #4

I use the following.
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch:Amazon:Home Improvement
Cook all sides then lay flat on hard surface and use the side of the brass tip to roll the heated area. Flip and repeat.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #5
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I use a propane torch and roll it with a glass jar or flatten it with a heavy metal spatula.

The soldering iron sounds interesting.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Most new straps have the last inch or so heat fused, that is what appears to be glue.

Polyester and polypro can be fused with a really hot cloths iron. Get one from the thrift store since the plastic residue will ruin the iron for using on cloths.

For nylon straps I have had good results using a propane torch. A few quick passes with the flame and the webbing shrinks down and fuses. Practice on some scraps, the difference between fused and cook to brittle is subtle.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #7

Hi Carvedog,

Yeah, this flat accessory item came with the soldering iron, along with the usual array of regular sized tips. The actual working portion is about the size of your small fingernail, maybe a sixteenth of an inch thick, and heats up nice and fast with a pull of the trigger.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #8
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
try heating up a butter knife with a torch and just cutting the strap wherever you want.
the melted end won't last forever, but it usually holds up pretty well (the strap i wear for a belt is still melted together well enough after a year or so)
and it'll still fit through the cam buckle easily.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #9

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Every Lowe's and Home Depot I've been to that have a rope section have that hot wire cutter that Avatard mentions. If you live close to one, that's a free option. But I've also done the lighter melt and press with flat object.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
try heating up a butter knife with a torch and just cutting the strap wherever you want.
the melted end won't last forever, but it usually holds up pretty well (the strap i wear for a belt is still melted together well enough after a year or so)
and it'll still fit through the cam buckle easily.
I second the butter knife. Find one you won't want to use again for eating, though. I usually use a gas stove top to heat it up. Get the end glowing and it will slice right through the strap and fuse the end simultaneously.
thebog is offline   Reply With Quote