buying raft for family - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-18-2015   #1

Portland, Oregon
buying raft for family

I new to rafting,tried on small river with kids and they liked.I want to buy a raft for paddling have 2 choices available :
1. Achilles RV Self-Bailing Raft 11'long(15"tubes) 2008 new not used display boat with 4 paddles, pump,303, rope for $2000 at discount because it display the new in the box is $3300
2.NRS Otter 120 Self-Bailing Raft(17" tubes) new for $2700-2800 and need to buy paddles, pumps, 303 (+ $200)
We sit comfortably in both raft the main issue is height of the tubes and money.WE will ran class 2 and some 3 for now because the youngest son 6 years old.any advice appreciated.wife saying 15" tubes to shallow but boat is well made and less money.any help please.and i looking for hypolon because i need to roll it for storage

Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015   #2

Ashevile, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1995
Otter boat

Go with the Otter. The comfort of the larger tubes will definitely pay for itself. Plus it's a well made boat and will last you 20 years. Think long term, kids will get bigger and have bigger friends, etc. you won't be disappointed. Dan
Raftnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #3

Go with the NRS - the foot and tube size makes a huge difference. Your re-sale value of the NRS will be much better if you want to upgrade in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
PureWhitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015   #4
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Raft, clubs, people

I boat with the Oregon Whitewater Association sometimes, (I'm a member) and I have a group of friends I go with. We raft with a 14' Sotar ST with our two kids who are 6 and 4 currently. They have 2 seasons under their belts. I've been boating since I was ten. Rafting with kids that young is a new experience to me. Even though I have been going for many years, I don't consider myself an expert. I'd rather keep my mouth shut and learn more that way.
So my usual haunts are the Sandy, upper and lower Clack, and the North Santiam. If you are rafting with kids on local day trips, you will most likely become very familiar with the Lower Clackamas and North Santiam.
If you are intending on paddling only or just doing day trips, I think a 12-13 foot raft with 3 thwarts is ideal. Our Sotar is a our one raft, so I take it on overnighters with a frame, paddle it throughout the year, or row whenever I feel like rowing. If you plan on rowing with 3-4 people, a 12-13 foot raft will feel small. Also, did you see that Hyside for sale on CL for 2000? Its a narrow raft with 3 thwarts, it would make a great paddle raft.
Also, my name is Jared. If you are looking for other people with families in the Portland area to paddle with, pm me and I can give you more of my contact information. I paddle year round. My 6 year old has been on the rivers mentioned above, and the Deschutes through Maupin, and the Mckenzie. We spend most of our summer on the North Santaim. (Damn controlled, always enough water) Our club has an excellent, affordable river rescue course coming up this spring, and a wilderness first aid class in the fall. They are both very affordable, if you are new to this sport I'd recommend enrolling in the club and at least enroll in the river rescue course. It is a great way to meet new paddling buddies too.
Old 01-19-2015   #5

Salida, 81201
Otter
thinksnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #6

Tigard, Oregon
You did not mention the type of floating you are planning on doing. If it is just day trips, the otter is good for 4-5 passengers and I think it would be your best bet. If you are considering any overnight camping trips I would suggest you go with something a little larger, even getting a 13 foot would be more comfortable on overnights. I consider a 14 foot as the jack of all trades boat size.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I new to rafting,tried on small river with kids and they liked.I want to buy a raft for paddling have 2 choices available :
1. Achilles RV Self-Bailing Raft 11'long(15"tubes) 2008 new not used display boat with 4 paddles, pump,303, rope for $2000 at discount because it display the new in the box is $3300
2.NRS Otter 120 Self-Bailing Raft(17" tubes) new for $2700-2800 and need to buy paddles, pumps, 303 (+ $200)
We sit comfortably in both raft the main issue is height of the tubes and money.WE will ran class 2 and some 3 for now because the youngest son 6 years old.any advice appreciated.wife saying 15" tubes to shallow but boat is well made and less money.any help please.and i looking for hypolon because i need to roll it for storage
I sold my 13 foot boat because it was too small for my family of four and went 15'. I would wonder what your intended use really is as well. All day runs, 12' will work but will not be as flexible if you're looking to get onto longer trips. 11' with 15" tubes=really small.
Old 01-19-2015   #8

Cave Creek, Arizona
If those are your only two choices go with the otter. If all your going to do is paddle rafting, the 120 should be fine, but you didn't mention how big your family is so that is just a guess.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #9

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
11 footer way too small for a self supported multi-day trip, the 17' is about right. Even if you think you won't need to do a 4 day trip now you certainly will in the future.

Make sure you consider ALL of what it takes to do a trip, not just the rubber and frame. You will also need oars, PFD's, safety gear, spares, pump, ropes, carbiners, lots of cam straps, dry bags, cooler, dry box, cargo bags, sitting pads etc. Perhaps even a trailer. The cost of accessories is significant.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #10

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I am new to rafting,tried on small river with kids and they liked.I want to buy a raft for paddling have 2 choices available :

Thank you guys for the advise.My family is 5 people. Oldest is 12 then 9 and 6 years old. We planing day trips only for now but who know what can be in the future.12' hypolon raft my choice because i need to roll up raft for storage and i was thinking that maybe rolled raft will fit in my Honda accord for some occasional quick trips.but i also have a small trailer to carry rolled raft and extra staff if i need too.I appreciated all advises.thank you all.If some one has any more suggestions you can send i will read i still have time till spring before i buy a raft .
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote