bucket boats and 12v bailers on the grand - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2015   #1

Seattle, Washington
bucket boats and 12v bailers on the grand

march trip. 16-foot boat. 28 AH battery. 20W solar panel.

I have no clue if I'm close or way under on battery capacity. I'll have a bucket and a hand powered bilge pump, but I won't have passengers to fall back on.

can anyone speak from experience as to the AH capacity - solar panel wattage equation, for that time of year?

What do I need to be comfortable charging camera batteries and not worrying about having the juice to bail?

planning to use the basic 1100gph 5A submersible pump.

thanks!

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #2

page, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
I would suggest a much larger battery and also a much larger panel. at 5a you'll suck the ah out of it, maybe one hour before you draw it down and start damaging the battery... 20w solar panel will give you about 10w in good sunlight, a few big waves and a cloudy day and you will be slinging a bucket
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #3

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Depends on how you use it. If you plan to let it run every time you get a splash you will kill it quickly. But if you only turn it on for a MAJOR rapid without a pool below it will see little use. Expect to MOSTLY bucket and rely on the power in the few cases it mught make a difference.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015   #4

Hi,

Been there. Done that. Eighteen foot Avon bucket.Twin bilge pumps and 20 amp panel with a 34 ah garden tractor battery. September trip with maybe a bit more daylight.

It likely will work as long as your bilge pump amperage is not unreasonable and you keep the panel in use on the flats. Do the math on the bilge pump draw, calculate to stay under 50% drawdown on the battery, and go from there. Oh yeah, don't forget a mercury switch or some other method of killing the circuit if you flip.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #5

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
If only they would invent a boat that would somehow magically drain the water without any effort from the rower or mechanical intervention
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015   #6

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
Depends on how you use it. If you plan to let it run every time you get a splash you will kill it quickly. But if you only turn it on for a MAJOR rapid without a pool below it will see little use. Expect to MOSTLY bucket and rely on the power in the few cases it mught make a difference.
Yes, that's kinda the thought. I ran this boat through the Yampa at 12,000, had a little bailing in warm springs, and again in split mtn gorge. but mostly she was dry, and I was not running sneak lines. never more than 3" of water in the boat.

For ankle-wash, I plan to just use the hand bilge pump.

a waterproof panel will charge continuously, but the pump won't be on automatically, in case of flip and continuous drawdown.

28 AH yields ~3 hours of pump use with a full battery.
Old 03-30-2015   #7

Seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post
If only they would invent a boat that would somehow magically drain the water without any effort from the rower or mechanical intervention
troll your own troll, lol
Old 04-25-2015   #8

telluride, Moab, UT
Paddling Since: 1977
I did fine with the Bucket Buster system 5 years ago with similar size boat on the grand with an early may trip. I had (2) 3 amp pumps, a 5 watt solar panel and a 12 amp Powersonic 12120 battery. I did my best to keep the boat dry with back rowing into waves and picking the dry line just next to breaking waves. I always used the pump first and then hand pumped what the pump missed. I filled the boat a few times in some big holes for fun and made it all the way just fine. I did not run any other electronics and kept the charger going everyday. They sell the powersonic batteries pretty cheap on amazon, I am going to upgrade to the 18 amp battery for my June trip, but will have my 18 ft boat, I am hoping it will work, considering a back up battery?? I would think you will be fine with a 28 amp battery.
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote