Box height above frame in small raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2012   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Box height above frame in small raft

I want to build a frame for a Super Puma for two person multi day trips and I'm trying to optimize space. Three bay frame with dry box and cooler; everything else in the stern. Optimally I'd like to put a HDPE table over the cooler/drybox in the front bay and have it lay flat on the frame. the Super Puma has 10" of space from floor to top of the tube; probably only 9" once you float it. Add ~ 1.5" for the frame tube and I have about 10.5" from floor to top of frame. So my question is: would it be best to sit on the 16" tall cooler and put the table over a custom 13" tall dry box? Seems like the weight would be too far back and too high in such a small boat. Would my front passenger counteract that enough? Or would I be better to sit on the 13" dry box to lower the CG and move the 16" cooler up to the front to distribute the weight? But then the table would not fit flush...

How do I fit 16 lbs of crap in a 13 lb bag?

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Buy a 20lb bag
Old 06-29-2012   #3

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't think you'll have problems with the taller box/cooler. In my dry box and coolers the weight is never at the top... I put everything heavy in the bottom and then stack the lighter stuff on top. So I would say the center of mass in either of them is probalby 1/4 the way off the bottom, not in the middle vertically.

I would put the heaviest one in the front bay, I have always prefered the weight forward in my raft, but that's my preference. Your going to put all your other gear in the stern you say so I am betting the back is going to be heaviest already.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012   #4

I see your point Dan. I agree that the box/coolers would be fine by themselves, but considering that my hood ornament and I will be sitting on top of the boxes I'm worried about the CG being too high. Although I'd love to have a 16" tall drybox instead of a short 13" one. I guess my biggest issue is figuring out how to get the table to work...
Old 06-29-2012   #5

I’m still not sure how you are going to get the table to be flush but I would put the cooler up front to offset the cargo. With a small dry box the cooler will easily weigh more. For a table I would either just go with a roll-a-table or another way would be to strap it behind the dry box as a shelf, you could stack items on top as well as stash them below. With limited cargo in the back though if you are going with a bucket system this probably won’t work height wise. Another option would be to go with a folding Lifetime type table that could be put on the bottom of the rear cargo area. That way you also protect the floor and can stack all your gear on top.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #6

Osprey, Actually I had though about making a HDPE beavertail setup that would have pipe flanges installed. Throw it on the floor in the stern to protect the floor and load cargo on top. Once at camp, screw on pipe/legs and presto, a table. A weird "U" shaped table, but what the hell.

I guess I just like the idea of a long, solid (no jokes please) table at camp. I like a sprawling kitchen.