Boat Cover - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2018  
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Boat Cover

Hey Buzzards,

I am looking for recommendations for a cover for my boat (14' Hyside). Every time I use a tarp it just gets shredded by the wind. I see some boats in the hood that have covers that look like they were designed for cars but I'm not sure. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? What size should I get?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018  

Moab, Utah
I really like the waxed canvas tarps from Chicago Canvas. Very high quality.

https://www.chicagocanvas.com/produc...as-tarpaulins/
Old 10-07-2018  

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by portermoab View Post
I really like the waxed canvas tarps from Chicago Canvas. Very high quality.
https://www.chicagocanvas.com/produc...as-tarpaulins/
I looked at the site and saw this warning. "These tarps are not intended for cars (autos) or boats." Anybody know why?
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018  

Moab, Utah
It probably has to do with the parrafin wax. That said, I know many folks who've used them for their rafts for years (myself included) without any adverse effects. I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Old 10-07-2018  

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Get ready to get your wallet out. But I like the Whitewater Designs covers sold by Cascade River Gear. They cover my boats 24/7/365. They last for a long time. I have 3 of them. One is 5 years old. My biggest gripe is they don’t fit over oar towers and still cover the tubes well. I called Ray at Tuff River Stuff, who also sells the Whitewater Designs Covers. I asked him do a custom cover that would work with oar towers. He told me to just cut a hole in my WWD covers. That’s what he did. I was super reluctant to slash a big hole in my spendy covers so I waited 6 months but finally did it. I made a really small hole, about 6-8”. I didn’t think a hole that size would work, but it did. I can’t believe how well the holes work. I wish I’d done it sooner.

I should add that on my third raft I didn’t want to pay the money again for the WWD. Initially I tried using an extra small car cover that I bought from Walmart. It kind of worked but, even a slight breeze would blow it off the raft. I finally got tired of seeing it on the ground and the raft uncovered every morning when I left for work and every evening when I got back home. Then I gave up and tried the blue tarps. Those were even worse than a car cover. I finally just caved in and bought another WWD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1538936429097.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	32205   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1538936473834.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	32207  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1538936507121.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	32209  
Old 10-07-2018  

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
My friends raft is at personal sportswear in Challis Idaho right now getting a custom cover made. I will try and get some pictures and what it cost him when he gets it back. They make some quality stuff and I have seen a few of their jet boat covers in person. there are a few pictures on their website of their work. They make everything custom so they would need the boat for a bit. I might have one made depending on what his runs him.
PS Covers Ect
Old 10-07-2018  

Keystone, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
A car cover from Walmart works quite well if you add a couple of cam straps across to hold it in place. The car cover we have is bigger than needed for the 14ft raft we have but with the straps, it has stayed in place in strong winds.
Old 10-07-2018  
Sponsoring Vendor

Central Point, Oregon
We can do custom covers but like others have said they aren’t cheap. Top gun fabric is the best we’ve found for longevity.

To guarantee fit We need the boat.
Old 10-07-2018  

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
I looked at the site and saw this warning. "These tarps are not intended for cars (autos) or boats." Anybody know why?
They are talking about power boats..... not soft boats. It will rub the shine off a power boat or a car.
Old 10-07-2018  

Ridgway, Colorado
I use the Budge/Walmart covers.
Cheap and disposable. 2 seasons.
The "fitted" aspect makes them easy to deal with; 4 alligator clips to the corners of the trailrer and I'm done.
The oar towers seem to make their own way.