Blown Baffles - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-10-2016   #1

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2012
Blown Baffles

Hey everyone -

I am looking a '99 Riken 14' - the rubber is in superb shape only catch it is has 2 blown baffles.... My question is does anyone have any experience with Baffle repair and how much it may cost?

Also, what would cause a baffle to fail?

thanks!

Rbtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Riken baffles usually fail in the worst way. I have done more riken baffles than any other brand hands down. The baffles themselves come apart. The seam tape that holds them together on one side gets air under it under heavy pressure and blows it out. When it blows the opposite side splits, usually pretty catastrophically. That in turn rips the seam tape instead of un gluing it on the side that originally had the weakness requiring a rebuild /reinstall. About $500 per.

Baffles blow for a few reasons the most common is topping off one chamber without inflating the others first.
Old 02-10-2016   #3

Reno, Nevada
Thanks again zbaird! OK so is there any hope for an easier repair if the boat still holds air for days? or is there just no way to tell until you get into it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016   #4

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
don't buy it.
Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't crush on this one, it's Lake pool toy now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #6

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
zbaird fixed the baffle in my near perfect Riken Pioneer. I love that raft, have had it since new, it meant a lot to me, the repair was worth every penny and he did a superb job, you can't even tell it was ever opened up.

That said, 2 blow baffles probably aren't worth it.

DanCan
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiggle View Post
don't buy it.
What he said.
Blown baffles are major trouble, I wouldn't buy it unless you could afford to just replace them.
Old 02-10-2016   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
The boat can hold air great with all the baffles blown, until you get a leak.
It is pretty much certain the baffle repair will be major on a riken. I have done maybe one minor repair on a riken baffle ever. With 2 blown baffles you have to question the other 2. If one of those blows, its a one chamber boat. One good baffle does nothing.
There are a couple ways to tell if it is a major blowout. The first and most obvious is to see how fast it leaks. If you cant fill one chamber at all without filling both at the same rate it is badly blown and will be a major repair. The other is a little more technical but if you are observant you can check. Where the baffle is attached to the inside of the boat you can see and feel this material on the outside. If you can see/feel that material all the way around the tube the baffle itself has failed. If there is a spot (most likely on the top of the tube where the sun bakes the most) where you can't see or feel the baffle material it may have come loose. Typically this will allow you to fill one chamber at least partially before the other starts to fill but not always. This is a little tough to see/ feel on the baffles under the frame chafer but not impossible. Sometimes the material on one side of the baffle line/ chamber division line will be there ant the other won't. If you see this it is major. It means the seam tape on one side of the baffle has ripped and will not be a simple re attachment.
Old 02-10-2016   #9

Reno, Nevada
Thanks again zbaird. Your detailed explanations are greatly appreciated and respected! Sounds like a no go on this deal .... not unless they give it away!
Old 02-10-2016   #10

Post Falls, Idaho
Springs coming find something that's river worthy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote