Bleach ate my dish tub - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2015   #1

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Bleach ate my dish tub

I saved a few bucks and got some cheap non hot-dipped galvanized wash tubs. I just noticed the bleach bottle leaked in one of them and ate the galvanized layer completely off. No, I did not put it on the stove, I have a hot-dipped one for that.

a) is this normal?
b) how do you guys transport your bleach?

Mine was in the plastic bottle inside a ziplock.

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't use bleach. Especially in a cold rinse. Bleach sucks. I can always taste it on the plates and silver. Use boiled hot water, scalding hot. Problem solved. Your welcome.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #3
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I believe in bleach if you can taste or smell it your solution is too strong. It is not effective in hot water so I use cold water.

I use plastic tubs like you use at home in your sink. They are cheap, light, available everywhere, they nest and they fit in my kitchen box. When they get stained I throw them out and start over.

I always have rubber gloves in my kit and this helps keep the soap and bleach from drying out your skin.
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015   #4

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Try putting a little piece of plastic wrap in between the bottle and the lid to keep it from leaking. Ziploc is a good backup, but it seems like it didn't completely work for you.

I use the previously mention kitchen sink plastic tubs as well, but our group usually uses the large metal tubs. Never seen them rust through, but I'm pretty sure they were the high quality metal tubs.

My bleach bottle leaked once as well and it almost ate through the metal strainer that I use so I could see that happening. It's unfortunate that they don't make a bottle that doesn't leak considering it's a pretty harsh chemical.
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
I use a Grolsch beer bottle wrapped in duct tape for my bleech. You don't need much....just a few drops per gallon will do it.

If you can taste it on the dishes....you have put in too much.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015   #6
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I tried an aluminum liter bottle and the bleach ate the gasket in a week. The black rubber washer was reduced to goo. I now use the bottles that are sold for camping. The ones with the spout that flips up work well for dispensing drops of bleach. I've had no problem since. No leaks or degradation of the plastic from one season to the next.
Old 06-14-2015   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Use quats for the sanitizing rinse. Still approved by health departments for commercial kitchens, and they're easy on the hands. Plus they turn the water blue, so you know they were added. I've never noticed a taste. The only downside I can think of is no bleach for emergency water purification if you lose your carried supply for some reason.
http://www.amazon.com/Steramine-Quat...HFvb1RTP8ME_tt
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #8

Castle Rock, Colorado
Streamine! I had forgotten about that stuff.

I've been researching and clorine bleach is just nasty stuff, plus unstable. It also ate the anodization off of some tent stakes in the tub. I can fix the tub with some rustolium, but I won't be transporting bleach bottles around any more. The spill was an accident, usually the bottle travels upright, and has without problem on many trips. It got dropped on its side, probably vented some, and follow that with sitting in the open tub in the heat for a couple days, and it was enough to eat down to bare metal.
Old 06-15-2015   #9

aurora, Colorado
Ya, bleach is nasty, but that's why it works. In sunlight, it breaks down to........... salt. and water and oxygen, and some organic byproducts of the nasties it killed.

Air-dried dishes are quite safe when a cold bleach sanitizer is used. Never heated dish water, not gonna start now.
sea hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #10

Castle Rock, Colorado
Ah, but the femmes on our trips want clean hands, and what better way to get clean hands than to submerge them in warm soapy dishwater. I'm a guy, feel a less urgent need for clean hands, so I'm willing to make a sacrifice and give up my time at the dish wash table. There are sooo many unexpected synergies in life...