Bimini - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2018   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Bimini

Looking for advice....I have a 15' NRS raft. I am interested in shade and I have multiple broken umbrellas in my garage already so I am curious about Bimini's.. I can see that there is advice to shop amazon over Sombrero and I am weighing that as money is a big consideration for me. My frame width is 72" but the amazon bimini's mostly show width ranges for width at 73" and above for 8' bimini's. I do want a bimini at 8' length.

Does anyone have a bimini set up for a 15' boat that they recommend with a similar frame width? (72")??
Also, does anyone have a lead on cheaper ways to mount a bimini on an NRS frame besides using the expensive attachments that Sombrero offers (glad they figured out something and they deserve some $ but their price seems steep to me)?
Is it common to have a bimini stick out beyond the raft tubes when folded (I can see how a bimini that is square when folded down could stick out on its corners beyond the tubes when it strapped down to front or back of the boat)?.

Thanks for any counsel team! - Bongo

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I got this one off ebay 67" to 72" width... there are countless ways to mount yours.. mine is on slide rails on my side deck. Mine is going on its third season and looks brand new. https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-Bow-Bimini-...TgK9QUaqTNPZDg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018   #3

salmon, Idaho
Another option https://www.riversports.com/rs/produ...Frames-NRS-DRE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018   #4

salmon, Idaho
Mounting option 2 http://riverboatworks.com/river-sombreros/

Old 06-05-2018   #5

salmon, Idaho
Here is a picture of that bimini mounted on slide rails on my 16 foot cat... I plan on using the same mount on a future 156 raft and sliding it forward and tucking the bimini behind the rowers bay in front of the gear pile.... I plan to have a small bay behind the rower so there should be room.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1528179266588.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	31023  
Old 06-05-2018   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
This was a pure cheap-rig, but the Leader Bimini has done fine on my NRS 66"(?) frame: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For frame attachment, I simply screwed the Bimini to two short 2x4's and attached those to the frame with 2' cams. Simple and effective, but not pretty.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I've had a Leader Accessories 4 bow 8' bimini on my 13' (60"w) for a few years and love it. They had sizing options for a bunch of different setups on Amazon. I just used the mounts that came with it and attached them to my sideboards, I tried slide tracks for a season but ended up hating them and settled on a static mount. It'll ride fore or aft, but when I'm loaded for a multiday, I have gear on my sideboards so it rides fore, I just run a strap around it and cinch it to the front D ring. Never flipped with it, but it's been through plenty of big waves and hasn't been an issue.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I just got a bimini set up, got the bimini online at vortex bimini $175 and bought AWESOME frame attachment from DRE in Denver for $75. Easy to adjust and move while on river and fits any frame. Check them out, my wife and kids love it, asked why didn't we get one sooner?!?!!?

J

VORTEX PONTOON / DECK BOAT BIMINI TOPS - 1800-309-5190

https://downriverequip.com/shop-prod...-mounts-pair-/
HtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote