Big Agnes Big Creek Tarp and Bug Shelter - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-26-2019   #1

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
Big Agnes Big Creek Tarp and Bug Shelter

I'm looking for a new river tarp and I am intrigued by the Big Agnes Deep Creek. https://www.bigagnes.com/Deep-Creek-...e=57&color=161

I am a fan of Big Agnes and it also can be used with an optional screened Bug House. https://www.bigagnes.com/Deep-Creek-Bug-House

The Bug House could come in handy at meal times on those yellowjacket infested camp site in Idaho.

Does anyone have any experience with either one or a recommendation for a similar set up?

athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I just posted on this today. I am going to pick up this shelter along with the Neso tent anchors as cheap add on. I spoke with some friends as well as BA folks and the system seems like a solid outfit. Will be interesting to see what people say.
markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019   #3

Moab, Utah
The Deep Creek tarp is nice (I don't have the bug net, though). It's big and handles wind really well. Lots of possible configurations with the shape and grommets.
portermoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019   #4

I went with the Sugarloaf, but have not used it.
BGillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019   #5

Seattle, Washington
I have the Big Agnes’s Sugar Loaf and have used it on several trips. It’s been a game changer especially the last couple of years on the Main Salmon when the YJs are bad (which in late summer the always are). The kids pretty much eat all theirs meals there. Last year we had a kid who was absolutely terrified of YJs. When we got to camp we would erect the shelter and he would pretty much remain there. You just have to make sure the kids diligently zip it up when coming and going.
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
I have the large Deep Creek. It is a well built shelter and overall happy with it. It has many tie down points which is good and bad. When it is windy they all need to be secured or it will flap like crazy, some sites (like rocky)this is not always practical and it requires extra setup. I have the bug shelter but have never used it, it seems like it would work well on a perfectly level grassy surface ( like the promo video. For sun and rain it has been great, when windy it can be stressful. I have also used the Sugarloaf and would get that instead if doing over. Easier to set up, always a bug shelter, mesh sides offer some protection from cold and rain too. Either way BA is a great company with great products.
efis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019   #7

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Deep Creek shelter

I have one size large. The shelter is pretty nice. Need to add new straps and stakes. My only complaint is that it lets through to much light. It's not full shade. I got mine at REI on sale for $129
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote