Bi-Yaks - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2018   #1

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Bi-Yaks

Does anyone on here have a BiYak. I'd like to buy one or at a minimum ....take a mold imprint from it.
These are about 15 to 20 years old now....most efficient whitewater craft ever made for shallow rocky creeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018   #2

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Re: ByYak More specifically... Made by a gentleman in Carbondale CO; Modeled similar to a Perception low friction hull; Rotomolded in Bennet CO; I believe this was a patented design of early 1990s
Old 01-08-2018   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
That's surprising to hear! A buddy had one - he swore by it, but I thought it was the biggest POS ever thrown on the water. It rowed OK drew as much water as my driftboat. My 13 foot hyside floated in half the water with a heavier load. It seemed to me as a hybrid cat/DB that retained the worst characteristics of each, not the best... but to each their own! I know Dave thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I have no idea where that boat is, but I've seen a few around here - if I see one for sale I'll let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018   #4

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
These are about 15 to 20 years old now....most efficient whitewater craft ever made for shallow rocky creeks.

I think for this to be true you would stay away from some deep V designs that most Biyaks have.

I would think one could pick up a couple old overflows or similar real cheep and make a cataraft type frame. I think that would be the ELF beast!

Old 01-08-2018   #5

Those things are turds!
A friend has 2, one nearly drown him when the lids came off and filled up with water.

They guy who developed them thinks they are great, he told me so. I was on my 14' maravia cat on the woody creek to basalt run.

There was one wrapped around a rock on Slaughter house last year.

My opinion is they are worthless turds. Maybe ok for fishing on a lake.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018   #6

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Gayer than a $2 bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	24602  
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
How about a Perception Revolution?

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018   #8

Cd'A, Idaho
Hah!

"Yes... Yes!... YES!... YEAH!... NOooo!
Elvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Flat Bottom LLDPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I think for this to be true you would stay away from some deep V designs that most Biyaks have.

I would think one could pick up a couple old overflows or similar real cheep and make a cataraft type frame. I think that would be the ELF beast!

Flat bottom, 13 to 14 ft, Rotomolded like a DOT drum, allows access to bony creeks in August where the inflatable cannot go. This affords two to kayak in and converge to a cat and have the ability to be dragged over rock bars. One can rotomold semirigid LLDPE for 3 to 4 bucks a pound. This is about fish that have never tasted a hook.
The Biyak that I'm referring to was designed for the roaring fork by a gentleman named Gardner. I think it was his first design. It had roto-cast recesses for frames and coolers. Perhaps not the best design out of the gate but there can be improvements. The concept of dragging the boat over rocks is driving this. 2" displacement 36" wide x 11 ft x 2 hulls is better than 640 lbs (500# net buoyancy at the 2" mark). Depending on the shape of the upper portion of the hull, one could achieve 2000 to 2500 lbs total displacement. There is another BiYak out there more recently with the claim patent pending hoping to dissuade competition on the prior art.
Old 01-09-2018   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Under-sized Infinicat...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote