Best way to tie rafts down on trailers? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Best way to tie rafts down on trailers?

What are the do's and don'ts of proper tie down for a raft on a trailer?

Denray is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Treat it like your favorite lover....tie it down gently but firmly.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you've got a frame, run the straps from frame to the trailer. 4 points of contact. Keep the boat inflated so the straps are tight, monitor the pressure when you're going over passes and when the temperature changes a lot.

And read this thread.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Bungee cords. Lots of bungee cords.
Spintowin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
If you've got a frame, run the straps from frame to the trailer. 4 points of contact. Keep the boat inflated so the straps are tight, monitor the pressure when you're going over passes and when the temperature changes a lot.

And read this thread.

-AH

Second this, always frame to trailer, 4 points of attachment, avoid using "D" rings if at all possible and pay attention to the inflation, the last thing you want is something rubbing thru the floor if the boat softens and drops, and remember to secure those oars. I can't tell you how many oars I've seen damaged by coming loose on the road and dragging on the pavement, them suckers ain't cheap these days!!
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintowin View Post
Bungee cords. Lots of bungee cords.

You must be the guy I saw on I-70 with duct tape wrapped around the trailer and boat, front and rear. Granted, must have been at least 2 rolls, but.....

Couldn't help but wonder what caused that LOL
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. Can a 1" or wider strap just go across the top as well or does it dig in too much?
Denray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denray View Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. Can a 1" or wider strap just go across the top as well or does it dig in too much?
It works, but if it's your only connection point, then your boat will either need to be strapped down really tight, or it'll be able to slide around a bit, which can cause wear. The 4 corners with either loop straps, or fully looped regular can straps, is the best way all around.
seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Treat it like your favorite lover....tie it down gently but firmly.
Oh god, that’s funny as shit man!
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
It works, but if it's your only connection point, then your boat will either need to be strapped down really tight, or it'll be able to slide around a bit, which can cause wear. The 4 corners with either loop straps, or fully looped regular can straps, is the best way all around.
This is my preferred method to, for the reasons Seantana says.

Back in the world of commercial boating, we would run 4 stacks on the trailer, then through a couple large ratchets over the top( plus of course bow and stern lines). It worked for that specific situation just fine, but point is that strap over the top can rub like pointed out, and when you drop elevation, ratchets have a habit of bouncing off onto the highway.

I’d say you have some pretty solid advice from folks hear already, just make sure ya do strap it down, nothing like the person riding shotgun saying with a terrified face “ stop, oh my god, stop” as the boat does a back flip onto the highway and lands upside down...