Best way to tie rafts down on trailers? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Rope. Tie one end to the trailer and run the rope under the chicken line, all the way over the boat, under the other side of the chicken line, loop it through the trailer rail or eyebolt then the tag end comes back up and tie the top half of a truckers hitch and crank the hell out of it. I've seen plenty of straps pop but never had a problem with rope.

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I've seen plenty of straps pop but never had a problem with rope.
You are right about that!!!!!!!!

Given enough age(mostly sun/dirt) poly straps snap. Replace them if improper maintenance(not treating for UV/dirt) results in them getting dry and brittle and becoming a snapper. A snapper is obvious to the most casual observer.

That said, how do you maintain straps should be next question. The answer is vigorous washing in clear water at least once a year with a final rinse in dilute 303. This process is more critical to the south than to the northern USA. The difference between "intense-sun-and-desert-dirt" and "lower-sun-angle and clear-flowing-rivers".

Or simply pay the price and buy NRS straps. Rarely if ever have I seen an NRS strap become a "snapper".

Or, retire your strap when is obviously a snapper and take it to DRE or your local source to have it rewebbed for a reasonable percentage of the price of new. The cam buckle is much more expensive than the webbing.

I used to sew my own straps but time is money and I have sometimes just asked and paid my local shoe repair to do the sewing when I pre-cut the webbing. I have miles of spooled webbing so that is easy.

I welcome feedback on this opinion.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
To add more unfamiliar terms to the mix, Hoopie and truckers hitches would also work( just curious how many old boaters are about, that know that one...)

Hadn’t seen those carabiner straps before!sweet!
Hey who builds that tiny frame, denray?
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #24

NE, Oregon
My preferred method is two ropes over the top, so that they rest against the frame front and back secured using truckers knots on drivers side. Bow line from boat(s) to trailer.

I used to run four straps from top boat frame to trailer, I find rope easier with less adjustments needed to keep boats in place and secure. YMMV
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #25
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
To add more unfamiliar terms to the mix, Hoopie and truckers hitches would also work( just curious how many old boaters are about, that know that one...)
Yeah It seems like I'm always explaining and demonstrating a truckers hitch to the newbs. I learnt it from the boys at Gauley and I never had one fail. But the few times that I ever used both top and bottom knots was when securing a really shifty load like logs or a shitload of drunken kayakers.
Old 3 Days Ago   #26

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
a shitload of drunken kayakers.

why bother tying those down?
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #27
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes413 View Post
If you can't figure out how to keep your raft on your trailer you really have no business putting the thing on a river.
Who pissed in your cheerios?

Trailering and rafting are two different things. For 20 years I rolled my boat ( and it's a Maravia too) into a small utility trailer after every single trip. There was a learning curve with that as well.

So maybe this guy has boated for a while too and now has a flatbed. Why not learn from the collective instead of causing some irritating and expensive damage if it can be avoided?

I lost a ratchet strap once off my rig and damaged the strap but not the boat. And the whole keeping the inflation correct is a challenge sometime. I was forced to do a rigged three stack last year after being denied at the Middle Fork put in due to fire and we only had my truck and trailer. We went to the Main without derigging or inflating. We couldn't get to the valves at all on the second boat. And yes I arrived at Corn Creek with all three very soft and sloppy boats. No ratchet straps but lots of cam buckles and bow and stern ties through everything.

You seem kind of new here, so if you can't be helpful at least be funny....or try.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #28

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have started using 4 foot loop straps to hold the boat to the trailer. Buckle part is attached to the trailer tie down point and the other end attached to the frame corners. This is on all four corners. I like this b/c, I am never looking for straps and it is very quick to get the boat strapped down.
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #29

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
I have trailered thousands of miles with these exact straps and have never had any abrasion issues. There are lots of these straps out in the world and I’ve never received any negative feedback. If there is someone out there that has had problems please contact me directly ( [email protected])

I created this design to specifically address abrasion issues of using ratchet straps. Typically, the abrasion is caused by the ratchet mechanism. Our design also fixes the other two issues with standard ratchet straps. Because there are buckles on both sides of the boat you get an equalized pull which is important when hauling a stack of boats. Lastly, the hooks on a ratchet strap can automatically disengage when your tube pressure drops due to temp or altitude changes. Our straps use a 7/16” steel hook with a wire gate that make secure connection that will stay put.

I am happy to address any other concerns anyone has but would prefer to this directly via phone or email.

Enjoy the cooler weather and burn some skis!!!
I just updated pics that show the strap set up better if your interested take a look

https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/pro...2-w-2-buckles/
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Hours Ago   #30

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Very nice Jake. Another WWW good idea and quality piece of gear.

I've found that the longer the tie down the closer you have to monitor it. None the less, I still go over the top side to side, and shorter tie downs at the corners. I like the wire gate idea to keep it in place. I might order some of these.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote