Best way to tie rafts down on trailers? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 1 Week Ago   #11

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Reason I ask is that I use these short frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130403_143613 - Copy (Large).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	39783  

Denray is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denray View Post
Reason I ask is that I use these short frames.
If you're running a stern-mount frame, then go frame to trailer in back, and use the D-rings in the front.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I never use ratcheting straps or straps with hooks. I Always use loop straps or carabiner straps. If stacking two boats or more, I like frame to trailer on bottom boat and frame to frame for higher boats. I have traveled 3000 miles like that with no issues at all. If no frame, d rings work, just watch the inflation a little more closely.
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Ignant me wants to know what are loop and carabiner straps?
Denray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denray View Post
Ignant me wants to know what are loop and carabiner straps?
Loop Strap...

Carabiner Strap...

You want those over a hook style because if those straps loosen the hook can unhook itself. You want something that will stay secured to the trailer and the boat no matter what. Loop straps allow you to use a shorter overall strap (rather then having to double back a normal cam strap).
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Central Point, Oregon
https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/pro...2-w-2-buckles/
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post

These are great, for short local day trips, but for longer hauls I wouldn't use them, especially if you are new to trailering and not all that savvy with keeping an eye on inflation. I've seen the aftermath of these actually rubbing hypalon down to the substrate when the boat becomes soft on a long trip, not pretty.

I should qualify that, not these exact straps, but ones very much like it.. If you have to use them, put a couple type IV's tween them and the boat, and cinch down hard hard !
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Central Point, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
These are great, for short local day trips, but for longer hauls I wouldn't use them, especially if you are new to trailering and not all that savvy with keeping an eye on inflation. I've seen the aftermath of these actually rubbing hypalon down to the substrate when the boat becomes soft on a long trip, not pretty.

I should qualify that, not these exact straps, but ones very much like it.. If you have to use them, put a couple type IV's tween them and the boat, and cinch down hard hard !
I have trailered thousands of miles with these exact straps and have never had any abrasion issues. There are lots of these straps out in the world and Iíve never received any negative feedback. If there is someone out there that has had problems please contact me directly ( [email protected])

I created this design to specifically address abrasion issues of using ratchet straps. Typically, the abrasion is caused by the ratchet mechanism. Our design also fixes the other two issues with standard ratchet straps. Because there are buckles on both sides of the boat you get an equalized pull which is important when hauling a stack of boats. Lastly, the hooks on a ratchet strap can automatically disengage when your tube pressure drops due to temp or altitude changes. Our straps use a 7/16Ē steel hook with a wire gate that make secure connection that will stay put.

I am happy to address any other concerns anyone has but would prefer to this directly via phone or email.

Enjoy the cooler weather and burn some skis!!!
Whitewater Worthy Equip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Alpine, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2002
If you can't figure out how to keep your raft on your trailer you really have no business putting the thing on a river.
Shakes413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
During transit it seems is when a lot of damage is done to rafts. This also is when a lot of the black rub end up on rafts.

To reduce damage and rub I use a "saddle blanket". On my cataraft the blanket is large enough to eliminate black rub and extends low enough to protect tubes from cam buckles. I use cheap indoor/outdoor felt like carpet from Lowes or Home Depot. It is cheap and you get paid back many times over when(if) you sell you boat. On scorching days I wet it down and it keeps the temp down around the boat.

I consider a shifting and moving boat on a trailer to be a boat in the process of being damaged; hence, I anchor down tightly and monitor. As mentioned in a recent thread, temperature causes more problems than altitude, usually.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote