Best Solar shower - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2019   #1

Best Solar shower

So what's everyone's favorite solar shower? I did a search and there was an old topic on this but alot can change in 4 years. I'm just tired of the junk ones that fall apart about halfway through the day, draining all your warm water out. Thanks

Esod1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you are looking for sun warmed (emphasis on warm), 5 gallon capacity, hanging type, this one might fill the bill:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3OUT4I...5-c358acaaf9b4

No personal experience with it, but looks like it has more beefy hanging device, a turn on and off switch, etc.
Old 04-21-2019   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I have one of the basic black bag solar showers, I've never gotten it hot enough to my liking, but I've also only brought it on a few early season trips. I resorted to heating water and filling it manually last time I used it. I was pretty great having a hot shower on a chilly trip, but it wasn't really solar powered that time.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019   #4

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
we use black 2.5 gal Scepter jugs. Fill them with fresh water to start with, then when used up fill with river water. One hour on the beach usually will suffice for hot enough water. Then use a pump for shower. Simply rinse with bleach when you get home. Didn't know if i would like the black for fresh water at first, but most of the water you use in camp to cook with is fine if it is warm, and you simply fill drinking jugs early in the am, after it cools down.
salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I was helping a customer at The Home Depot the other day. Her plan was to take a new hand pump garden sprayer (no Roundup), paint it black, and was retrofitting the tube with a kitchen sink sprayer. The concept is good but haven't heard how it works. It's rigid so might not be practical for rafting but could be great for car camping. I might try it out for the pop-up.
Old 04-21-2019   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
If you are looking for sun warmed (emphasis on warm), 5 gallon capacity, hanging type, this one might fill the bill:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3OUT4I...5-c358acaaf9b4

No personal experience with it, but looks like it has more beefy hanging device, a turn on and off switch, etc.
I tried one of those Amazon showers and had high hopes for it. Broke the FIRST day. Everything about it was cheap cheap cheap. Welded vinyl construction with the crappiest blow molded plastic fittings youve ever seen. DO NOT recommend.
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #7
..is doing the damn thing

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
MSR Drom bag. Gets nice and warm after a few hours on top of the Bimini or cooler. I also have a 7 gal scepter can I retro fitted w a 12v bilge pump and a kitchen sprayer for use in my GnaRV (camper van). It was tan to start, I painted black panels on the sides. It gets plenty warm too.
ACheateaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Missiongravity, thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 04-21-2019   #9

Lowell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Commercially, we don’t mess with the “solar” part of the shower. We heat water when we get to camp.
Gchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
While it's another piece of gear, I bought a Zodi hot tap shower years back, and never regretted it. Endless HOT water, as hot as you'd like, 4 D batteries will last a group of 15 showering every other day for a week. Very stingy with propane, especially if you buy the hose that allows you to hook to a bomb.

Hot Tap High Performance Instant Hot Shower | Perfect for all seasons | Zodi.com

They have a single burner model as well.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote