Best practice for recovering raft onto trailer - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #21
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
Guess you've never taken out at Biscuit Rock...
Isn't a water knot the same thing as an overhand on a bite?
No. No sir, they look similar but are different knots. This spring I used the Y method to lift my fully loaded Maravia onto my trailer as i took out of the Salt. Thanks Andy!

Cheers!

Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #22

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquido View Post
No. No sir, they look similar but are different knots. This spring I used the Y method to lift my fully loaded Maravia onto my trailer as i took out of the Salt. Thanks Andy!

Cheers!
So by Y method, you mean setting it up like in the video? Water knots for the oar tower loops and then overhand on a bight in the center of the strap to create a loop where the winch hook attaches (bottom of the Y)? I'm assuming the bottom of your Y loop extends just barely out from the front of the raft?

Something like this? (Please excuse my crude drawing.)
RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #23

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
I use a HF tow strap with a beefy d ring mounted center on it for connection to my winch strap. Works like a charm. I have gotten a couple lookers come over at gas stations worried that my only connection to the trailer is the giant yellow strap running under my bow, it tends to catch attention better than the 1.5" straps at each corner for some reason.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6 Days Ago   #24

Fulford, Colorado
What do you do if you dont have a hole in the bow of your boat? Would love to do the strapping around the towers but the NRS Outlaw doesnt have holes in the front.
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #25

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcaposwimteam View Post
What do you do if you dont have a hole in the bow of your boat? Would love to do the strapping around the towers but the NRS Outlaw doesnt have holes in the front.
Nothing goes through a hole in the bow of the boat. The straps from each oar tower connect UNDER the boat and then a single line runs to the winch. That Y point under the boat provides the needed uplift.
bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #26

Fulford, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpnick View Post
Nothing goes through a hole in the bow of the boat. The straps from each oar tower connect UNDER the boat and then a single line runs to the winch. That Y point under the boat provides the needed uplift.

DUH! I astonish myself sometimes with my dumbassery. Thank you for clarifying
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote