Best practice for recovering raft onto trailer - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeLivin View Post
What are the best knots for the V setup? I got a long section of nylon webbing and was planning to do a bowline at each end for the oar towers and a bowline on a bight for bottom part of the V at the middle that attaches at the winch hook. Would a figure eight on a bight be better for the bottom part of the V that attaches to the winch hook?
Use a water knot for webbing.

MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #12

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaLaz View Post
Use a water knot for webbing.
Thanks! For some reason, I thought you could just do a water knot to attach two separate pieces of webbing, but it makes sense that you can attach it to itself to make a loop like shown below.

For the bottom of the V part that attaches the winch (center of the webbing), should I just do an overhand on a bight? So water knot loops over each oar tower and an overhand on a bight for the winch?

I've been building my knot repertoire over the last couple weeks. My wife keeps making fun of me each evening for sitting on the couch tying knots instead of paying attention to the TV.

RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #13

Ridgway, Colorado
I just made a V setup. 1" tubular webbing, about 23'. Water [email protected] the oar towers, no knot at the point of the V, just clip the winch hook to the webbing. Easy peasy. Only used it once so far but it worked great.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #14

Nederland, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
I just made a V setup. 1" tubular webbing, about 23'. Water [email protected] the oar towers, no knot at the point of the V, just clip the winch hook to the webbing. Easy peasy. Only used it once so far but it worked great.
Ahhh, I see. I was trying to mimic the setup in the video where there is a large loop at the point of the V where the winch hook attaches.

I'm assuming the point of your V doesn't extend out very far in front of your raft? In the video, it looks like the loop is necessary because the point of the V extends quite a bit beyond the raft, so they have to then attach it to the knot of the loop to winch it far enough forward.
RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #15

Ridgway, Colorado
I have a cat. The point of my V is 1.5'ish BEHIND the front of the boat.
Old 1 Week Ago   #16

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeLivin View Post
What are the best knots for the V setup? I got a long section of nylon webbing and was planning to do a bowline at each end for the oar towers and a bowline on a bight for bottom part of the V at the middle that attaches at the winch hook. Would a figure eight on a bight be better for the bottom part of the V that attaches to the winch hook?

Try making a loop out of your webbing, use a ring bend knot to join the ends, then put a loop over each oar tower, and run the end of the webbing down the sides and up thru the "D" ring on the front of the boat, then attach the winch to the loop that's sticking up thru the "D" ring.

Hard to describe, but hope this makes sense.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #17

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Naw, you want that loop for the winch hook down low. So when you winch the raft you also “lift” the raft. Pull from Up at the front d-ring is too high and not as effective
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Exactly! also running a loop through the D-ring still puts a bunch of stress on the D-ring; one of the primary advantages to the Y-strap setup is to remove that stress.... that and it lifting the boat up to trailer height....
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
I just back my tall ass trailer into the current and float it on...
wack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #20

Ridgway, Colorado
Guess you've never taken out at Biscuit Rock...
Isn't a water knot the same thing as an overhand on a bite?