Best place to buy dry suits right now - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-25-2017   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Best place to buy dry suits right now

Looking for a good deal on the GorTex Kokatat dry suit. Found them for about $780 on Amazon and Backcountry, seems like a good deal. Is there better one out there right now?

fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingraft View Post
Looking for a good deal on the GorTex Kokatat dry suit. Found them for about $780 on Amazon and Backcountry, seems like a good deal. Is there better one out there right now?

Check out outdoor play. That's where I got mine, think the its $771 right now.

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017   #3

Grand Lake, Colorado
Check out Austin Kayak they have a good selection
Riverratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverratton View Post
Check out Austin Kayak they have a good selection
I'm not seeing any Kokatat dry suits on their site.

Also, does anyone know much about the fishing paddle suits? They sell them in GorTex but I don't know much about them or how they compare to the GFER suit.
Old 05-26-2017   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Anyone have qualms with the Supernova Angler Paddling Suit? I'm thinking of going with that over the GFER. I'll be using this for 80% fishing in the winter/spring, 10% on the GC, and 10% running whitewater in my raft. If the neoprene neck bugs me, I can always glue in a rubber gasket. My main concern is with the flat rubber zipper over the regular metal zipper.
Old 05-26-2017   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingraft View Post
Also, does anyone know much about the fishing paddle suits? They sell them in GorTex but I don't know much about them or how they compare to the GFER suit.
I think the main difference is the neck gasket.. The angler that has a neoprene gasket instead of the rubber gasket.. Not quite as waterproof but the neoprene is a lot more comfortable.. If you are a rafter the angler wouldn't be a bad option but it you are a kayaker you probably want the rubber gasket. I got my wife the hydrus 3l angler and she really likes it.. I had her try on my dry suite before I ordered hers and she couldn't do the rubber gasket.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
I think the main difference is the neck gasket.. The angler that has a neoprene gasket instead of the rubber gasket.. Not quite as waterproof but the neoprene is a lot more comfortable.. If you are a rafter the angler wouldn't be a bad option but it you are a kayaker you probably want the rubber gasket. I got my wife the hydrus 3l angler and she really likes it.. I had her try on my dry suite before I ordered hers and she couldn't do the rubber gasket.
The other big difference is the flat rubber zipper, and that's my main concern. I'm not a kayaker and don't plan to be, I really only have been rafting to fish...but recently have started enjoying the whitewater and am going to go on some non-fishing whitewater trips in this thing. Don't plan to do much swimming, but if it happens and I get a little wet, whatever. I do want to stay comfortable on a winter GC trip in this thing, so that's another concern.

I own the hydrus for work, with the flat zipper. It leaks like a siv from one leg and the bottom of the rubber zipper. That said, we beat the hell out of dry suits at work (installing fish weirs) and I don't think that's a good way to review a dry suit.
Old 05-26-2017   #8

Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
Issaquah Kayak Academy had Kokatat drysuits on sale. https://www.kayakacademy.com/
Montana Cat 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017   #9

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
My kids have Supernovas with a Tzip (rubber zipper). So far so good, but only been used a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Damn. I blew it. Went to pull the trigger this morning and all the sales are over and dry suits are now back at full price everywhere I've looked.