Best Paddle Boat Options - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-05-2016   #1

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Best Paddle Boat Options

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to purchase a paddle boat for primarily Class III rivers. We regularly are on the Rogue (recreational & Wild sections), Payette River (Cabarton & Banks runs) in Idaho, and a few others...

I want something that will be lively and fun for up to a 7-person team of mostly mild to little experience paddlers. Needs to be able to also be paddled effectively by as few as 4-5 if need be.

My top option at the moment is the Aire Super Duper Puma, we already own an Aire raft and really like the brand. Any other ideas or recommendations? Should I be looking at any of the Sotar rafts?

Uriah

UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
For class three I think the best boat is the least expensive one that will fit your crew. Just about anything will work. If I were you I'd grab that 160DD that Aire has on sale right now. That is the best price I've seen on a brand new boat.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #3

Ashland, Oregon
I'm selling a 14' boat in Ashland for $1200.

You can easily fit seven in it (we do all the time with six loads plus a guide) and I've also R2'd it.
WillCarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016   #4
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
I dunno why all you PNW folks like them PVC boats so much.
Get yourself some rubber. Hyside, NRS, hell I'd take a new Achilles 14' over an Aire SDP.
And Vangaurd?? Really????

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #5
swimming

Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I dunno why all you PNW folks like them PVC boats so much.
Get yourself some rubber. Hyside, NRS, hell I'd take a new Achilles 14' over an Aire SDP.
And Vangaurd?? Really????
We stopped using Hypalon when the military did back in the 70's , there is this new thing called Elvaloy and TPU that pretty much turned Hypalon obsolete you Colorado guys are just a bit slow on new raft and frame technology. A boat shouldn't smell like a used condom and you shouldn't have to carry a wrench for a frame. A Hypalon boat is like riding a soggy piece of french toast down the river
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #6

Steamboat, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWall View Post
A Hypalon boat is like riding a soggy piece of french toast down the river
Bahahaha love the imagery
nothin' worse than soggy carbs
Old 01-06-2016   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Problem with buying a Hypalon boat is.....they last a life time. No need to keep buying new boats all the time.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #8

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks to all for responses. I know that pretty much anything will get down a Class III rapid just fine, but I want something that will be a little lively as well. We are not an overly intrepid group, and are not likely to dare anything above a Class IV rapid ever. But at the same time, I've taken the Aire 156R and 156E series rafts down and they do not compare to the old 14' NRS Sprite that we used to have.
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016   #9
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWall View Post
................................A boat shouldn't smell like a used condom and .................................A Hypalon boat is like riding a soggy piece of french toast down the river
Schutzie has to ask; how would you know what a used condom smells like, or what riding soggy french toast would be like. I mean, you got some life experiences you wanted to share?

However, I gotta agree; a cheap hypalon boat is not a good option for much more than floating. A good Hypalon boat now, that might be a different story......
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016   #10

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
You don't want anything bigger than a 14' boat if you will have max 7 and paddle boating. You want something that will be small enough to get down the rivers in low flow years and still be fun.

I think the Super Duper Puma is the best shape for a paddle boat. But I am also a Hypalon (or Pennel Orca) guy, so I have an NRS Otter 142. I like the larger rocker and that it is narrower than the standard 14'.
CaptBiggler is offline   Reply With Quote