Best maps for your local rivers. - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2015   #1

White salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 05
Best maps for your local rivers.

Looking to start a thread about the best maps Buzzards have found for their local rivers.
I have only run about ten local rivers but have truly come to appreciate a well deigned map with identified camping areas and identified rapids that are easy to read, water proof and designed to follow as you float down the river.
I really like the RiverMaps Guide to the Rogue River. A lot of great history of the river an topography. I also appreciate the durability of Troutmap's covering of the Deshutes.
The BLM could use the above mentioned company's help when designing an informative and intuitive map.
Maps that I am interested in are; The John Day, Grande Ronde, all of the Salmon, Owyhee and Hell's Canyon.

Trejos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2015   #2
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The fellas at mountainproject and mtbproject need to pick up the riverproject.com domain. MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps has stepped up the game immensely lately - there is no more finding a mountain bike map, you go there.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015   #3

Fort Collins
I like having my maps digital. The upper colorado has new maps and descriptions online which i use in conjunction with Google Earth and Garmin Basecamp. I have files collecting for the various runs I have done, so when I repeat a trip, I can just grab that trips info, dump it on my Garmin, and float. This set up has worked well for me, especially with kids, or if the weather is turning south. In some places, the waypoints for campsites can be downloaded from the interwebs, which makes it that much more convenient.
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2015   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The best map I have found for the Ark is the one in the back of Thomas Rampton's "Arkansas River Guide". The book itself is mediocre and is really lacking in detail for the stretches above Buena Vista, but the maps are excellent for the river corridor. If you want more of the uplands surrounding the river included the best I have seen is the Latitude 40 waterproof for Salida/BV.

http://www.amazon.com/Rampton-Thomas.../dp/B008ZSHN40

http://www.latitude40maps.com/salidabuena-vista-trails/
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015   #5

River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
RiverMaps has a version for the Lower Main Salmon and Hells Canyon in one book.

Matt Leidecker makes the gold standard of river maps in my opinion. They are the best. He has them for both the Middle Fork Salmon and the Rogue.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
To address the OPs rivers interested in:

Owyhee:
The BLM guide to the Owyhee is here, it covers all the South Fork and East Fork and mainstem down to Leslie Gulch. The new revised map book is good:
Boater Guides & Maps

The Main Salmon downstream of Vinegar Creek to the Mouth and then the lower part of the Snake to Hellar Bar is also on the same page and is an adequate guide:
Boater Guides & Maps

The BLM revised Wallowa/Grande Ronde map guide is also adequate:
Wallowa-Grande Ronde River Boater Guide Map Details Oregon/Washington BLM

I have used the Leidecker book for the Middle Fork at low flow this year in August and it was good.

I used the Newell guide book for the Main Salmon and it was good too.

The BLM lower John Day Map book is adequate but their North Fork John Day free maps are not detailed at all.
https://www.blm.gov/or/permit/info/mapsandbooks

Under no circumstances should you buy the Melinda Allan's "Floating and Fishing Oregonn's Wilderness River Canyons". It has way too much inaccurate info and mistakes.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015   #7

White salmon, Washington
@ Shappattack

I am just going to start PMing you personally with my questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 10-26-2015   #8

White salmon, Washington
The BLM map of the John Day does not read easily with with your movement down stream and its movement from page to page.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 10-27-2015   #9

D-town, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_bjread View Post
I like having my maps digital. The upper colorado has new maps and descriptions online which i use in conjunction with Google Earth and Garmin Basecamp. I have files collecting for the various runs I have done, so when I repeat a trip, I can just grab that trips info, dump it on my Garmin, and float. This set up has worked well for me, especially with kids, or if the weather is turning south. In some places, the waypoints for campsites can be downloaded from the interwebs, which makes it that much more convenient.
Can you link to the data online? What Garmin are you running? Do u have something like a ram mount in your cockpit to keep it secure? I have run them on my motor bikes with great success.
SigNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015   #10

Fort Collins
I use a combination of things. Garmin Basecamp is free, and is a good interface for storing river info by segment, and symbolizing features like boat ramps, camp sites, rapids and hazards. I can use it to load trips onto my garmin easily too. Google Earth is good for digitizing features that you can't find else ware, and Basecamp can import kmz files.

The BLM has some new maps here:
BLM Colorado | Kremmling Field Office | Rafting for Pumphouse to State Bridge and State Bridge to Dotsero. There is also a new river guide: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...Guide.2015.pdf

I have used these maps and google earth to create waypoints for a bunch of the stuff down there.

Kemmerer FO has some google earth links for several features of river interest:
BLM Colorado | Kremmling Field Office | Recreation

Grand Junction FO also has Google Earth files available for Ruby/Horsethief too.

For me, I have an eTrex 20, and the carabiner clip, and hang it on my PFD. It makes it easy to get too at any time.