Best large Dry Pack - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2018   #1

Best large Dry Pack

I just had my 110litre Sealine Dry Bag/Pack stolen and have to replace. I have been very satisfied with the SealLine proPack but there is some negative feedback on line about the new suspension system. Iím mainly using for rafting and so the fancy suspension system is largely not needed (try to avoid portages) but durability and toughness are key.

Any views on alternatives... Heavy Duty Bills bag looks good.

Aeb501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I bought a large Jack Plastic years ago and have used it a lot. It has been bomber. My dad has one too. I don't think Seattle Sports are generally the best choice but they are usually less expensive. On the same day I bought the Jack's I bought a small Seattle Sports day bag that I took on pretty much every time I was on the river and finally, after almost 20 years, "retired" it. I think Sealine is the, overall, best choice. You can,t go wrong.
smhoeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018   #3
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
Bill's Bag is a decent choice

I've got a LARGE Bill's bag (3.8 cu ft) I've had for 20 years and a smaller one (2.2 cu ft) that I've had maybe a dozen years or so. When I was strictly a kayaker, the big bag was the one and only thing I'd bring on trips. I bought the smaller one for a GC trip, and I prefer it now. If I need to pack more, I bring a Tuff Sack of whatever size works. I have a Seattle Sports small roll-top dry bag with shoulder straps, and it's been good, too.

The stitching on the strap of the big Bill's Bag ripped on a GC trip last year. It's still dry, but you can only use one of the two straps. I'm kind of retiring it. The smaller one is still bomber, although that plastic crap they used to put at the opening for a while has been torn for years. The old big one had a piece of PVC that overlapped the other side of the opening before you pushed the air out and sealed it.

I've been very happy with the Bill's Bags. If I ever need another one, it will be the smaller one. The big one is just TOO big. If I ever got another big one, I'd also get a bunch of long, skinny coated lightweight nylon drybags. I would pack things in the smaller bags and slide them into the Bill's Bag.

A friend has an old purple Seattle Sports bag. I like the color, and if they still made it, I might get one.

I'm still not decided on the new design of the NRS Tuff Sacks. The ones I've had are getting older, so I bought a selection of the new style. The buckle is smaller. Maybe it's just as strong, but I'll have to wait a decade to get back to you on that.

I've never ponied up the cash for a Watershed. That's probably also a good choice if you can afford it.

Good luck!
Will Amette is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2018   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Watershed.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018   #5

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Almost 20 years on my first Watershed and just loaded it up for an Alaska trip. Might have been $100 more than other bags when I bought it so about $5 more per year of ownership. I’m guessing I’ll get another 10-20 dry years out of it. 303 the seal every year.
Conundrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018   #6

Arnold, California
I have both Watershed & Bills bags and they each have their advantages. I like that I can stuff a regular duffle bag in the Bills bag but Wateeahed is the way to go if it has to stay dry and it has a solid chance of getting submerged. I like the backpack straps on the Bills. I generally use smaller stuff sacks if I'm using the Watershed.
Old 08-02-2018   #7

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
I just took the new NRS duffel out for a few days. It was great. I could zip it open and access anything I wanted without taking out all the other gear or digging down into the bag. It got plenty wet but everything inside stayed dry. I bought the biggest one, 110 L I think, but they come in several sizes. I'm sold on the design. The way it opens up asking its length makes it so much easier to see and retrieve things. I think my days of using traditionally designed bags is over.
rwmicsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018   #8

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1986
Cascade River Gear and Ortlieb also make dry bags that open along their length - i own both in different sizes and the 110L Ortlieb material feels a bit heavier duty, but the Cascade bag has stood up well to a commercial season of guiding... imho, Seattle Sports uses much lighter material...
Unca Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018   #9

Boise, Idaho
+1 for the CRG/Ortlieb duffel. I've got the 110L that hasn't let a drop of water in for 3 seasons.
IDriverRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018   #10

Taylorsville, Utah
Paddling Since: 1980
Another Thumbs up for Watershed. I have the monster Mississippi Drybag. It is 138L They make a Colorado drybag that is 105L . I also have some Bills Bags that have held up well as well as NRS bags. A few years ago I purchased 2 Sotar large dry bags which are actually really tough and have held up great and not too bad on the wallet with some nice colors. I know if anyone mentions the Sotar name it brings up a war but I have liked mine. I have a teal colored one and red one. The best way to keep any of your bags nice and last for a long time , is to not let your KIDS borrow them and my kids are in their late 30's . Probably the toughest bag I have is an old military black rubber bag that could be used for target practice and still hold up. Good luck on your decision. Sorry about your loss
gitdown is offline   Reply With Quote